PDA

View Full Version : big als has a marge too!

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 05:22 AM
you know that famous huge clown loach marge on the internet? i went to the big als store here a few hours ago and they have a almost fullgrown one, and hes $350!

Blue Ram
01-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Wow is that a good price for a full grown one?

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 06:07 AM
i guess you could say so, if you have the money and dont have the time to wait for a small $10 one to grow its good.

best fish there had to be the $1000 ray, 2000g shark tank, and the clown loach

Incredulous_Ed
01-26-2008, 06:25 AM
geez, I wonder how old it is.

digital3
01-26-2008, 06:31 AM
You should try to get a pic... :thumb:

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 06:32 AM
lol, i meant to.

they also had a fullgrown arowana in a 360g, craziest fish ever.

lol, and the funny thing was there was the one huge clown loach and like 50 tiny 3" ones in the tank

Dave66
01-26-2008, 06:37 AM
I get a kick about 'marge'; I had six clown loaches that I had for eight years that were between 14 and 16 inches. The girls were the big ones, the boys were smaller and slimmer. Had to sell them when I moved but they got a good home; a SE Asian exhibit at the Memphis Aquarium (At the Memphis Zoo). Took me and four zoo guys more than an hour to get those monsters out of that thickly planted tank.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 07:14 AM
I get a kick about 'marge'; I had six clown loaches that I had for eight years that were between 14 and 16 inches. The girls were the big ones, the boys were smaller and slimmer. Had to sell them when I moved but they got a good home; a SE Asian exhibit at the Memphis Aquarium (At the Memphis Zoo). Took me and four zoo guys more than an hour to get those monsters out of that thickly planted tank.

Dave

big als had this one planted tank that was gorgeous, it was in a dark corner, probably 300g with metal halide lighting, and probably 1000 lush green plants with huge schools of tetras.

NickFish
01-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Very nice.

I wanna know why you would pay more for an older fish? It would naturally have shorter lifespan in your tanks and would probably have more difficulty moving in. Unless you have some predator in the tank I guess.
I'd rather buy one for $5 and let it grow.

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
another thing that doesnt make sense is dyed fish, PJ's here sells dyed white skirt tetras for $5 each, and all they have is faint red, green, or yellow on the top of them, yet normal ones are $2 each

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Clown loaches can live for years and years. Buying anything that is full grown brings in more money. Someone had to care for it and feed it all that time netting more money.

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Dave

They mean you had any plants left after all of that? LOL I had to practically dismantle my tank to catch 3 gold tetra's. :1luvu:

So what's the story with clowns in a planted tank? I've read some places where it's claimed they eat plants. Others say no.

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 07:38 PM
i used to have 4 of them and they never touched my plants

Dave66
01-26-2008, 08:58 PM
They mean you had any plants left after all of that? LOL I had to practically dismantle my tank to catch 3 gold tetra's. :1luvu:

So what's the story with clowns in a planted tank? I've read some places where it's claimed they eat plants. Others say no.

Hobbsy,
They don't eat plants; those folks were talking out of their hats. The few breeding of clown loaches reported were in very well planted tanks, as they apparently lay there eggs around them. Eating the plants would make no sense at all.
The clowns were too big to push into the plant thickets; it was the driftwood and stones that were a mess. Adult clown loaches are big, very strong fish. We were all soaking wet by the time we'd got them out; the tank level was down about a foot.
The few breeding reports about clown loaches were in thickly planted aquariums where the loaches were fed and left alone. The fry were found when aquarium keepers pulled up the plants months later; the fry were ensconced around the roots. No one I know of has ever SEEN them breed; people have just seen the results of breeding. I've read that young clown loaches were captured en masse sheltering in hollow logs, so the prevailing wisdom was the eggs were laid there. Hobbyist experiences are different, as plants was were all the young were found, not driftwood.
Mine never bred, to my knowledge, and I didn't take down that tank until years later.

Dave