PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no babies?

smaug
01-26-2008, 01:25 AM
I keep hearing people talking about there fish breeding.I have diamond tetra,glolite tetra,dwarf cory,swartz cory and hatchets.I have seen all but the hatchets exhibiting breeding behaviour but I have never seen any eggs being dropped.My water is a steady 6.6ph,GH 10-12,KH 4-5,nitrates 3-5 0 nitite,0 ammo,.5-1.0 phos.It is a planted tank kept at 82 deg.I do a 25% WC weekly.Any ideas?

Dave66
01-26-2008, 01:44 AM
I keep hearing people talking about there fish breeding.I have diamond tetra,glolite tetra,dwarf cory,swartz cory and hatchets.I have seen all but the hatchets exhibiting breeding behaviour but I have never seen any eggs being dropped.My water is a steady 6.6ph,GH 10-12,KH 4-5,nitrates 3-5 0 nitite,0 ammo,.5-1.0 phos.It is a planted tank kept at 82 deg.I do a 25% WC weekly.Any ideas?

Drop your temp to about 77. Feed your fish live food three times a week. They may be spawning now; the eggs are being eaten soon as they are laid. If you condition the breeders on live foods you can actually see females fill up with roe. You'd have to move the breeders to a planted tank of their own of the same temp and chemistry as the main tank. Adding a little black water extract helps as well. After adding them to the breeding tank and continuing the live feeding you should have eggs by the end of the week.
Your pH is perfect, but your hardness is a little up for the tetras. See if you can manage gH 4 or 5, kH 5 or so. Breeding several fish at the same time can help, but the water level has to be about two inches over the plants if you want to save some eggs. Usually the ratio for breeding is one male to two females.

Dave

smaug
01-26-2008, 01:47 AM
thanks dave,my main goal isnt to breed them.I was just wandering why they wouldnt.You have answered my question very well.

Dave66
01-26-2008, 01:59 AM
You're welcome, smaug. And thanks for the reps, by the way.

Dave

smaug
01-26-2008, 02:00 AM
your welcome