PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember the first water change you ever did?

Glasstapper
09-08-2006, 03:30 AM
I just did my first one ever. I've successfully soaked the carpet in front of the tank and completely messed up my decorations and gravel. I was so clumsy. It took me a while to put it all back, and I couldn't figure out what to do with the light. I was afraid to splash it if I kept it on top, but if I moved it, I couldn't see what I was doing in the tank.

Also, the tap water here is very warm, even on cold, so I actually had to melt ice cubes in my bucket to get it down to 80 F.

And then I completely forgot to add more water treatment until two hours later.

Hopefully I will get better with time. It took me about an hour to do a 10% water change. I have more time tomorrow, so I will attempt a 20% change.

I'm sure my tetras were laughing at me going "This chick has no clue what she's doing! hahahaha!"

Tell me how messy you were on your first water change so I won't feel so bad.

William
09-08-2006, 05:52 AM
well I made my first one at the age of 3 so I don't remember much. It gets easier even if mistakes are bound to happen every now and then.

Lindsay_D
09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
my first time i did was in shop and we have water proof floors...i came home soaking wet and my dad asked what happened and i told him the truth...

"i flooded my entire shop with water so there was like 2 inches of water everywhere (which is a lot cause the shop is huge) and i spent the entire day getting the water out of everyones clothes, shoes, backpacks, and the rest of the tanks..." it was hilarious so don't feel too bad

Jamieross1978
10-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I soon got sick of using buckets. Especially when filling my vision 450 (450 litres) When its almost 6ft high. My one piece of advie would be this;

Go and buy some inch 1/2 diameter black ribbed pipe.. enough to reach your sink or bath or even loo! Then when its time to change the water, one end in the sink, one end in the tank, big suck (Pervs) and couple of seconds water will be pouring into the sink.... Easy. (May cost a few quid about £2 a meter for the pipe.. but saves lugging gallons of water backwards and forwards in heavy buckets)

Then simply place the end that is in the sink, onto the tap with a hose pipe clip and turn the tap on, filling the tank at a nice relaxed pace.. bosh. done. I do this every weekend, it takes me 15 mins... and there is no effort... well maybe recoiling the pipe up before it gets put away but thats it. Fish are thriving as are the plants and i dont get put of doing the water changes.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Sounds like a phyton vacuum cleaner and hose is right up your alley. Drains the water right to your sink as you clean the gravel and then refills the tank right from the faucet.

Severus
10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Next paycheck i am going with a python. I still use buckets unfortunaely..

Glasstapper
10-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, the buckets aren't all that bad. I have a 3 gallon bucket, so it's not really that heavy.

Also, my cold tap water comes out at 90F, so I have to melt ice into the bucket before I pour it in to keep the temperature maintained.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Next paycheck i am going with a python. I still use buckets unfortunaely..
Me too! More fun and more water to clean up that way.

Severus
10-06-2006, 09:01 PM
haha exactly

freshwaterfishlover
10-29-2006, 02:26 AM
I hate doing water changes since the plants always come up, but water changes got to be done.

jeffs99dime
10-29-2006, 06:02 AM
i have the python. best investment i ever made concerning aquarium maintenance! i highly recommend purchasing one.