PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler Crabs - food issues!

GermanMusician
01-25-2008, 03:16 AM
So, the new Hermit Crab food I gave them (which has calcium) is not getting eaten... any clues as to why? I figured that if that's the only food I leave out for a period of time, eventually they'll get hungry enough to eat it, right?
Should I switch to the other food?
How should I serve the new food... I've tried placing it in the water and on dry land... because I wasn't exactly sure how they'd take it... (it floats in the water, by the way.)

:help:?

Thanks!

squirt_12
01-25-2008, 05:00 PM
well if they are not eating it then thats a problem. My food that i give them (hakari crab cuisine) sinks to the bottom and i feed my crabs the food in the water.
try soaking the food and pusing it down into the water so that it all gets socked up. then it might sink. they may it it then.
if they don't eat it then....well i would just say they don't like it.

you can try frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp (don't always feed this...llike 1-2 times a week max.), shrimp pellets (they love them), veggie rounds, and you could give them some live plants (not hornwort as they wont eat it). they need both meaty and vegtable foods served to them as they need to have nutrients from both. YOu can try lettuce but mine wern't big fans of it.
if the crab pellets you have don't sink to the bottom and the crabs wont eat them then you NEED to fidn a food that has calcium in it that they will eat.

also about the food issues....you can try getting a shallow dish and putting a little bit of water in it. That may work...

GermanMusician
02-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Hey, do you know of any other ways that I can try serving the food to them? I looked for the Hikari Crab Cuisine at a few stores, but they didn't have any at the time, if they carry it at all. Should the hermit crab food stay dry in a serving dish? Should it be put in the water? Should I soak it up first, then put it on the dish? I've got it mashed up right now to see if they eat any of it, and I'll check back later today.

Thanks!

squirt_12
02-03-2008, 03:47 AM
I just throw mine right into the water and they sink to the bottom and then the crabs come along and eat them. But if they wont sink then you can get a shalow dish and add a little bit of water to it and put the pellets into it. That might work.

Good luck :thumb: