PDA

View Full Version : Can you use acrylic paint inside an aquarium?

plow
01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
I have a structured background inside my 55 gal, siliconed in place.

I hate the colour and want to paint it black, is it ok to use acrylic paints or is expoxy the only one that really works?

Im not sure if epoxy will be ok since it may melt the styrofoam type background..

anyone?

Dave66
01-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I have a structured background inside my 55 gal, siliconed in place.

I hate the colour and want to paint it black, is it ok to use acrylic paints or is expoxy the only one that really works?

Im not sure if epoxy will be ok since it may melt the styrofoam type background..

anyone?

Acrylic OUTSIDE the tank yes, INSIDE no. The binders and chemicals that are in the acrylic paint will leach out into your bulk water were you to paint inside the tank, poisoning your fish. Just use a razor blade or X-acto knife to slice the silicone to get the 'ugly' background out. You could replace it with a piece of cork, and plant it with things like Java Fern, Anubis, the mosses, things like that. More natural background, especially when everything grows and covers the cork.

Dave

gm72
01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Drumachine was actually talking about using paint inside the aquarium--I don't remember specifically which one it was that he thought to be safe in such a use.

Drumachine09
01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Its Krylon fusion. The paint is inert. You need to give it enough time to dry, but it bonds to just about everything.

Lady Hobbs
01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Epoxy paint can be used inside.

gm72
01-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Krylon fusion, yes, that's what I meant.

BAM! Drum to the rescue! :thumb:

Drumachine09
01-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Krylon fusion, yes, that's what I meant.

BAM! Drum to the rescue! :thumb:

Haha, I do what I can.

Krylon also bonds great to glass on the exterior of the tank for a clean, professional background. I use it on 2 of my tanks. I have a "how to" in the DIY section on that subject.

plow
01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Any other alternatives to fusion..

it doesn't seem to be available in sweden..

cheers for the help so far.

I might just have to go expoxy, hope it doesn't melt the current background, although I think it has a durable plastic coating on it of some kind.

BillyVille
03-10-2008, 08:59 PM
So krylon fusion can be used on styrofoam INSIDE the tank without cement? It wont kill the fish?

Dsoto87
03-11-2008, 01:50 AM
I dont know if it will work on styrofoam. I had some foam board that I tried spraying but it actually melted it. Krylon fusion is meant mainly for plastic and it seems to work by actually bonding somehow to it not just "painting a layer" over it. I guess thats why it melted it. It does work great on glass and plastics though and yes it is inert