PDA

View Full Version : Schooling and territories

lahlumdi
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
My tank has had the same number of fish for awhile. 1 Beta, 11 Neons, 7 Rummy Nose tetras and 4 Corys. I was going to add 1 Panda Cory. However the German pet store I frequent didn't think that was a good idea. She convinced me to get 4-5 more of another school. I THOUGHT these were tetras. Now that I study it, I find out they are Tiger Barbs. (Language barrier - I don't speak or read German - they just tell me - these are peaceful fish that will be compatible with your other ones).

It was fascinating watching these 4 Tiger Barbs get introduced into my well established tank.

Immediately the Tiger Barbs tried to school with the Rummy Noses. At first I thought it was cute. I know Rummy Noses like schools and hoped they would make a nice big school. Then I realized the Rummy Noses were upset. They kept going around and round in circles trying frantically to escape from those Tiger Barbs. One Barb, the littlest one, would get behind and they'd lose him. He'd look confused. Then rejoice and catch up with everyone else again. And the Rummy Noses would dive and hide in the weeds and take off again.

The neons who have established territory near the top left corner looked on all of this mildly amused. They'd get out of the way when it got too excited.

My Beta who ignores everyone else went into hiding under the plants, and kept peeking out at the action. The Cories seemed oblivious and just did their own thing.

The next morning I discovered a fascinating thing, which has remained true ever since.

All the previous fish are back at their usual station with their usual activity. The Neons in the upper third on the left. The Rummy Noses have claimed the entire front corridor in the lower third. The Beta loves to hover around the thermometer and branches out from there as he pleases. The Corys happily fiend for themselves along the bottom and occasionally Mr. Salmon race up the stream of the filter.

And the Barbs... the just dart back and forth along the mid level of the back whipping in and out of my plants along the back and swooping through the stream of the filter. They seem to be thrilled to have found their own space.

It is so curious to me that each bunch of fish enjoys being with their own kind and has found their own space.

Had I researched the Tiger Barbs, I don't know that I would have added them... as I have since read they are rather agrressive in the tank compared to the others. On the other hand, they are fascinating to watch. The rest of the fish seem to have adjusted to having them around.

On occasion I feel like the need a stop light to establish the traffic patterns!

I am always fascinated at watching the new fish react to their new home.

lasm
01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
That's interesting.

I love just sitting in front of my tank and watch the different behaviors of my fish.

mitcore
01-25-2008, 02:26 AM
sounds like something good to watch,

i would sit there for hrs

gm72
01-25-2008, 02:50 AM
What size tank is this?

As a comment to yours, it is never a good idea to add a single specimen schooling fish (panda cory) to any tank, but maybe the other 4 corys in there were also pandas?

Fishkeeping 101 involves a lot of research. Easy to make mistakes early on, we have ALL done it at one point or another!

richberstler
01-25-2008, 03:15 AM
ug, tiger barbs... my folks love theirs but i've always found them to get too big fot my neons and they start to bully a bit. but that is just one mans experience/preference

lahlumdi
01-25-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a 20 gallon tank. The other corys are peppered.

The biggest problem here is that my store is stocked in German. In hindsight, I probably should have brought a book with photos of fish in English so I knew what I was getting. In some ways, this purchase was a frivolous and off-the-cuff decision, unresearched. I wanted one more fish to add to a school I already had, and thought the panda would school with the corys.

We will be here only 1 more year, and then move back to the States so hopefully the barbs won't grow too big in that year. Then I will hopefully donate the fish to a couple of school classroom aquariums or something like that. Too bad I can't take them with me. I love these fish!

gm72
01-26-2008, 02:02 AM
The barbs will get big enough to terrorize the other inhabitants I think.

lahlumdi
01-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Wow... I had NO idea. Thanks so much for the insight. I'll keep and eye on them and perhaps need to find a new home for them sooner than I expected.

richberstler
02-07-2008, 12:06 AM
if I recall, they were slow growth and really only bothered the smaller fish. good luck!

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 12:30 AM
fin nippers those little,,, hmm... keep barbs as species tank..........

lahlumdi
03-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Yesterday I was at the pet shop and mentioned I had Tiger Barbs in my tank with the others. They were shocked that their shop would knowingly sell me tiger barbs into that tank community. (Remember I am an American in Germany and I don't speak German - language barrier). When I showed them the tank with the fish, I discovered that what he called it was a 5 banded barb. Wouldn't you know it... I actually found a barb called that! OK, so I don't have tiger barbs. I have 5 striped barbs. They are more lively than my neons and my rummy nose fish, but they are certainly NOT terrorizing anyone in the tank. They are all getting along just fine. Just thought some would find this interesting.