PDA

View Full Version : Neons: Is color loss ALWAYS NTD?

SunshineTK
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I wanted to get some opinions about this -

Bought some neons to add to our school and they looked fine. Two days later, one had very dull coloration in the red area. We moved him to a quarantine tank and he's still there five days later, with no disease progression, and he's swimming fine (our "quarantine tank" is a 1 gallon that we set up for him hastily after moving some guppy fry, which is why the new neons weren't quarantined before adding them to the main tank). Now I'm of course obsessed with looking at the other fish to make sure they all look ok, convinced the neon has NTD. Could this just be stress/shock as a result of the water change from the store to the tank? Although the tank has been fully cycled for a couple weeks (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates 10-20 with regular water changes), we also had a mini (~.5) nitrite spike the day after we added the fish (we added a few addl danios at the same time), which was right before he turned dull. I know neons are pretty sensitive fish.

55 gal, light on fish (not close to fully stocked never mind overstocked)
ammonia 0, nitrite 0 to .5 as explained above, nitrate between 5 and 20 depending on where in the week prior to water change, ph 7.1, temp 77. Both ph and temp are stable.

Tooch
01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Did you notice the lack of color right when you turned the lights on and freak or something like that? Neons get very pale when the light is dim, so they are less noticable to predators. Turn a light on the tank he is in and wait a little while and see if his color comes back.

SunshineTK
01-24-2008, 07:43 PM
No, he's dull all the time, I have noticed what you mentioned with the other fish, but they brighten up when the lights go on. He doesn't. His blue is still very strong and bright, but the red is dull and faded.

Drumachine09
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Color loss is also a sign of poor water quality. What are your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings?

SunshineTK
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Copied from above (not being fresh, I realize you just may have read my second post). :ezpi_wink1:

Could this just be stress/shock as a result of the water change from the store to the tank? Although the tank has been fully cycled for a couple weeks (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates 10-20 with regular water changes), we also had a mini (~.5) nitrite spike the day after we added the fish (we added a few addl danios at the same time), which was right before he turned dull. I know neons are pretty sensitive fish.

55 gal, light on fish (not close to fully stocked never mind overstocked)
ammonia 0, nitrite 0 to .5 as explained above, nitrate between 5 and 20 depending on where in the week prior to water change, ph 7.1, temp 77. Both ph and temp are stable.

lasm
01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Fish doesn't show the best of themselves until a couple of months after you get them.

I would say your little guy is just stressed. One of mine neons is slightly less colorful that the others. But he has been like since I got him, which is more than six months now. Maybe he is just different.