PDA

View Full Version : Shhhhh

RichBowyer
01-24-2008, 05:54 PM
OK, The spousal unit has left the room. I have this 38 G sitting in the basement I'd like to be my first live plant tank. If I set it up, lights, substrate etc, how long before I add fish? I'd like to try and do it like I have seen online where they plant it, keep it wet, let it grow and then fill.

Also. What is THE plant book?

TIA, Rich

PS~congrats to me!!! Post #250!

Ty
01-24-2008, 05:56 PM
add the fish once it is cycled.

Lady Hobbs
01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
If you plant heavily and start with a few fish, you will not need to cycle at all. We in the US are always more in a hurry than other countries, it appears. I've talked with several from other countries to plant their tanks and let the plants get a good root system going before ever adding their fish.
I sure wish I could have let some of those stem plants I had get a good start before adding fish because they sure made a mess of them.

But.....I am also a hurrier and want to see fish!

fins_n_fur
01-24-2008, 08:04 PM
LOL we are indeed impatient LOL instant gratification. I'm setting up my first new tank on the weekend and it's killing me to wait so long LOL

Incredulous_Ed
01-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Plant it heavily from th ebeginning and you wont need to cycle. As for the plant book, I mainly just read everything online.

Dave66
01-24-2008, 08:34 PM
OK, The spousal unit has left the room. I have this 38 G sitting in the basement I'd like to be my first live plant tank. If I set it up, lights, substrate etc, how long before I add fish? I'd like to try and do it like I have seen online where they plant it, keep it wet, let it grow and then fill.

Also. What is THE plant book?

TIA, Rich

PS~congrats to me!!! Post #250!

Rich,
THE plant book: Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist by Diana L. Walstad. Get at least the second edition. No pretty pictures of planted tanks, but will show you the hows, whys and what's of planted tanks. Best 35 bucks (or less if you shop) you'll ever spend on your quest for a planted tank. The 'net is no substitute for a book; anyone can post anything online, not everyone can get published in a book.
Congrats at 250 :)

Dave

country_boy454
01-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Congrats on the 250th post!! As for books I liked and read Aquarium Plant Paradise by Takashi Amano. It was very informative IMO. I'll have to check out the one Dave suggested.

Rue
01-25-2008, 04:56 AM
Good luck with that!

If her birthday or an anniversary is coming up...you could be giving it to HER for that...and as part of the gift YOU do ALL the maintenance!:1luvu:

richberstler
01-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Rich, I strongly suggest you research lighting and filtration before setting up. I made the mistake of not doing that - now I'm trying to retrofit...