PDA

View Full Version : Rainbowfish - Furcatus Babies

Fishalicious
01-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I got these little guys about 2 weeks ago and I love breeding so was looking forward to the challenge of trying my hand at my first rainbows...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/IMG_9412-1.jpg

Yesterday the first fry were born and are eating well - there are 24 in total - I hope to be posting pics of the little ones soon

Huraaaah :41: Not really the challenge I was looking for as it went far too easy LOL As baby fish they already have the bright blue eyes...

Luckily they are not very often found so I should have no problems finding new homes for the babies....

Dave66
01-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I got these little guys about 2 weeks ago and I love breeding so was looking forward to the challenge of trying my hand at my first rainbows...

Yesterday the first fry were born and are eating well - there are 24 in total - I hope to be posting pics of the little ones soon

Huraaaah :41: Not really the challenge I was looking for as it went far too easy LOL As baby fish they already have the bright blue eyes...

Luckily they are not very often found so I should have no problems finding new homes for the babies....

Congrats, Jess! Always wondered why rainbowfish are so expensive since they are such free breeders. The 24 M. praecox I have in quarantine have already covered nylon mops with eggs, and they've only been in there a little over two weeks.

Dave

Fishalicious
01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks Dave... yeah they spawn so easily ... I thought it might of been this species of Rainbow but on reading more it seems they are all prolific spawners... so a tip for any starting breeders - RAINBOWS lol

Looks like I'm going to have to go back to breeding something more challenging... if you have any tips on which fish Dave I would love to hear them.. :ezpi_wink1:

Only fish I have never managed to breed is the Puntius Denisonii ... I gave up after a year so please don't suggest that one hehehehehehe :thumb: :thumb:

Dave66
01-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Dave... yeah they spawn so easily ... I thought it might of been this species of Rainbow but on reading more it seems they are all prolific spawners... so a tip for any starting breeders - RAINBOWS lol

Looks like I'm going to have to go back to breeding something more challenging... if you have any tips on which fish Dave I would love to hear them.. :ezpi_wink1:

Only fish I have never managed to breed is the Puntius Denisonii ... I gave up after a year so please don't suggest that one hehehehehehe :thumb: :thumb:

Jess,
I dare you to breed neon or cardinal tetras successfully, and raise the fry to adulthood. Or you could try for the livebearer challenge; Anableps anableps, Belonesox and half beaks. Getting live fry and raising them to adulthood with THOSE three would be a rare feat. I'd crown you the Queen of Fish Breeding if you achieved that trilogy :)
That challenging enough for you? lol

Dave

Fishalicious
01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I have already bred Cardinals sucessfully thumbs2: - in a blacked out room - lot's of tripping and falling and working by torchlight but I got there :thumb:

The spawning in super easy in cardinals & Neons it is the getting them to adulthood that is the challenge as I am sure you know...they grow so painfully slow and the feeding is a real problem - in the end I only got 32 Cardinals into adulthood and it was such a difficult task I won't be repeating it again too quickly in the future ...

Thanks for the suggestions - they all look like fantastic challenges but they would need their own LARGE tank and kept alone... I am having space issues so I would rather look at smaller less ferocious fish :ezpi_wink1:

I managed to get a little pic of two of the fry (I really need to get a macro lens)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/IMG_9522.jpg
Spot the Aliens LOL They are so tiny they are hard to see with the eye...

Tolley
01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Well Done Jess!!! Great shot, They have huge eyes lol :thumb:

Tooch
01-24-2008, 02:11 PM

I have one of these that was in the tank when my dad gave it to my daughter, and I was wondering what it was! A Rainbow fish you say? Cool!

Lady Hobbs
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
ohhhh, so cute. Congrats Jess on your successful spawn. So nice to get FREE fish, huh?