PDA

View Full Version : Flavus Cichlid Not Eating

Blue Ram
01-24-2008, 06:18 AM
I dont know if a Flavus Cichlid/Dinghani is South american, Malawi tanganyika or what so if i could be filled in on that that would be great!

Here's the main question. Ive fed all 7 flavus cichlids on flake, pellet and all sorts of food but the 6 flavus cichlids that hang out at the top or middle get all the food before my dominant male gets any! The dominant male sits in the rocks at the bottom gurading his territory so much that he doesnt eat any! Any ideas on how i can get him to eat somethng?
Thanks,

Patriot

Dave66
01-24-2008, 06:32 AM
I dont know if a Flavus Cichlid/Dinghani is South american, Malawi tanganyika or what so if i could be filled in on that that would be great!

Here's the main question. Ive fed all 7 flavus cichlids on flake, pellet and all sorts of food but the 6 flavus cichlids that hang out at the top or middle get all the food before my dominant male gets any! The dominant male sits in the rocks at the bottom gurading his territory so much that he doesnt eat any! Any ideas on how i can get him to eat somethng?
Thanks,

Patriot

They are primarily Vegans, Patriot. Try Spirolina flakes with them. Look into frozen foods for herbivores. If you can find some clean, algae covered stones see if they'll scrape them. I'd bet they do. Look here (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_flavus.php) for info and origin of the fish; they are Africans. To target feed him, load a clean turkey baster with tank water and food, and gently squirt some down to him.

Dave

Blue Ram
01-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Ive fed them Spriolina pelets but it seems that all other 6 get the food fisrst before the dominant male gets any! Maybe flakes would be better though. I will give it another shot. I do have soem frozen brine shrimp too.

Dave66
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Ive fed them Spriolina pelets but it seems that all other 6 get the food fisrst before the dominant male gets any! Maybe flakes would be better though. I will give it another shot. I do have soem frozen brine shrimp too.

As I said, use a turkey baster to target feed the male. He'll quickly learn that the baster means food.

Dave