PDA

View Full Version : PH for oscars

melbfish20
01-24-2008, 05:52 AM
What is an ideal ph level for oscars ? and what is a good range ? some web sites say as close to 7 and others say that oscars are hardy fish that will do fine anywhere between 6-8 as long as there is no sudden dramastic change in the water

my ph level is currently at 7.2

Dave66
01-24-2008, 06:13 AM
What is an ideal ph level for oscars ? and what is a good range ? some web sites say as close to 7 and others say that oscars are hardy fish that will do fine anywhere between 6-8 as long as there is no sudden dramastic change in the water

my ph level is currently at 7.2

Your pH is ideal for Oscars. General hardness should be fairly soft, like 10 ppm. Temps in the upper 70's, say 77 or 78 degrees. With plenty of space and good and varied foods, Oscars are great fish.

Dave

melbfish20
01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Your pH is ideal for Oscars. General hardness should be fairly soft, like 10 ppm. Temps in the upper 70's, say 77 or 78 degrees. With plenty of space and good and varied foods, Oscars are great fish.

Dave

the next question i was going to ask was about a good diet for osars.I have 2 baby oscars which ive had for 2 months and all they want to eat is frozen blood worms,they will not touch any other fish food ive tried beef heart,pealets, and other types of frozen food and tropical fish food but they will not touch them.The only other thing they will eat is worms from my garden and small fish from the local fish shop.

what is a good diet for oscars?

Dave66
01-24-2008, 07:56 AM
the next question i was going to ask was about a good diet for osars.I have 2 baby oscars which ive had for 2 months and all they want to eat is frozen blood worms,they will not touch any other fish food ive tried beef heart,pealets, and other types of frozen food and tropical fish food but they will not touch them.The only other thing they will eat is worms from my garden and small fish from the local fish shop.

what is a good diet for oscars?

Let them starve for a couple days, then add pellets. Not feeding them for a few days won't hurt them; on the contrary, it helps them purge waste. Try adding freeze-dried krill to their diet; three times a week. The krill will intensify their colors, and the shell acts as roughage. Add vegetation to their diet. Spirolina flakes will work. See if you can get them to take some frozen foods designed for herbivores. Say about 20 percent of their diet vegetable-based, 80 percent staple pellets and other prepared foods. Live food like worms no more than once or twice a week; Oscars are easily spoiled, and if you feed them worms more often, that's all they'll eat.
Just give them a 3-day fast. That'll straighten them out.

Dave

melbfish20
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
the worms I feed them are most often frozen blood worms, they dont often get live worms from my garden if that makes a diffrence.

for the 80% food for herbivores that you recomended will any type of cichlid pellets and frozen food do ?

thanks for the help

TowBoater
01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
You can get Spirulina enhanced brine shrimp frozen. I feed a large variety, here is what I feed...

One per day in a cycle...

Brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
blood worms
Forumula one
beef heart
Spirulina brine shrimp
meaty carnivore

Here is what I feed every day...

Hakari Cichlid gold floating
Hakari Cichlid gold Sinking
Hakari Cichlid Bio-gold floating

Fishguy2727
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
New Life Spectrum is truly the best diet out there. It is complete and balanced. It is the only thing any of my fish get. It is the best for colors, health, etc. There is a lot of good information on their website so check it out. You can check my PhotoBucket for pics of my fish.

melbfish20
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
New Life Spectrum is truly the best diet out there. It is complete and balanced. It is the only thing any of my fish get. It is the best for colors, health, etc. There is a lot of good information on their website so check it out. You can check my PhotoBucket for pics of my fish.

that brand looks good, i will have to get some.its best to give oscars cichlid food isnt it rather than the standard tropical ?

shockshockshad
01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
And, because NLS is so good, you don't have to feed them anything else. At least I heard someone on this site say that.

TowBoater
01-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Fishguy said that. I don't believe in feeding fish one food only but that is just my thoughts, I think they need variety.

Fishguy2727
01-26-2008, 03:21 AM
NLS is mostly the same so you just need to pay attention to pellet size and whether it floats or sinks.

Variety was good and necessary before, but now we have at least one food that alone is truly complete and balanced. I tried it in a mix and exclusively and exclusively NLS is better than any other diet I have ever used.