PDA

View Full Version : Custom Tank Design

coachfraley
01-24-2008, 04:03 AM
I found a guy who lives locally and he builds custom acrylic tanks and sumps. I worked out a deal with him, and he will build me a custom all-in-one, if I help him with his website.

I drew up this design, it is 20' wide, roughly 16g. I chose that width because I would be able to use the lighting that is on my 10g right now. I would basically be moving all my rock and critters from my 10g into this tank. The "false wall" will be made from black acrylic. The back will serve as a fuge, I will also put some filter floss and my heater in there. Please let me know what you think. This drawing is looking at the tank from the rear.

http://www.cshm.org/images/fraley/tankdesign.jpg

I might go an inch higher, or wider, but I don't want to go too big because I will have to upgrade my heater, buy more sand & rock, etc.

Drumachine09
01-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Kinda hard to understand. You have to get your mind in the right perspective to see it right, but it looks cool!

Rue
01-24-2008, 04:05 AM
20 feet is an awfully big tank...you could keep WHALES!!! :1:

cocoa_pleco
01-24-2008, 04:06 AM
looks good, same design as my nanocube with the sump, congrats!

Rue
01-24-2008, 04:07 AM
...actually, it's very similar to the frag tank I'm having made...except we put the 'sump' to the side.

My RSM has the sump in the back...a little hard to get into, but otherwise I have no complaints...

coachfraley
01-24-2008, 04:31 AM
20 feet is an awfully big tank...you could keep WHALES!!! :1:

lol, that reminds me of spinal tap...thanks Rue:hmm3grin2orange:

Fenix
01-24-2008, 04:32 AM
thats cool! best of luck with it.

fins_n_fur
01-24-2008, 06:16 AM
I think he left of a ' in his post...it's 20 inches " not 20 feet LOL A 20 foot tank would be incredible :ezpi_wink1:

spudbuds
01-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Looks cool. I've never considered building an all-in-one. Great idea!

What are the dimensions on the fuge in the back? I see that it spans the 20" of the tank, but what's the depth?

I would go ahead and make it a bit taller. If you are going to bother changing tanks, you might as well get some room out of it too. And it would help it not look so squarish. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure it will look great with whatever you do to it if your past tanks are any indication. I can't wait to see it built.

- Bill

cocoa_pleco
01-24-2008, 06:25 AM
i agree, taller tanks make the best reefs, one time i saw a 30g breeder as a reef and my god it was ugly.

slinky
01-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I didn't realize that my tall 16G bowfront could be used by the fish so nicely. It also ensures that your filter doesn't touch the substrate. While the 14 x 14 sounds like on paper I might prefer to go 15 x 13 or even 16 x 12, which I like better. You may not look at the sides as much as you do the front and that might be a better combo. Does he build bowfronts? :)

coachfraley
01-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Looks cool. I've never considered building an all-in-one. Great idea!

What are the dimensions on the fuge in the back? I see that it spans the 20" of the tank, but what's the depth?

I would go ahead and make it a bit taller. If you are going to bother changing tanks, you might as well get some room out of it too. And it would help it not look so squarish. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure it will look great with whatever you do to it if your past tanks are any indication. I can't wait to see it built.

- Bill

Thanks Bill,

I think I will take your advice and make it a little taller. I did this pic. for the designer to show the dimensions in back (it is a top view):

http://www.cshm.org/images/fraley/topview.jpg

I'll post some pics when it comes in.

And yes Slinky, he builds everything...once I set up his site, I will link to it, he builds some CRAZY designs.

Rue
01-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Heh...my frag tank will be 11" high...I want it easy to access the bottom and to clean, and to have the frags nice and close to the light without having to have them on tall stands...