PDA

View Full Version : High watt DIY light fix for planted 20g hex

KC21386
01-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I cant find my other thread, so here goes...

I have settled on this setup, which I will be wiring up and assembling tomorrow night. It is a $3.96 stainless steel cooking bowl, and it will have four 26watt 6500k bulbs in it. Total cost under $30 completed.

Comments?

Incredulous_Ed
01-23-2008, 11:01 PM
That, my friend, is a great idea. However, my main concern would be it overheating. Can you add a fan in there?

Drumachine09
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
With spiral bulbs, you get a ton of restrike. Adding a ton of them in a "reflector" that isn't made for them, and you get even more restrike.

country_boy454
01-23-2008, 11:18 PM
With spiral bulbs, you get a ton of restrike. Adding a ton of them in a "reflector" that isn't made for them, and you get even more restrike.

What is restrike?

Ty
01-23-2008, 11:36 PM
I would be worried about putting all of it in a metal fixture that is not insulated with something between the lights and the bowl.

but other thank that it looks like it will work nice, and like mentioned above, a fan sounds like a good idea, and can be had on ebay pre-wired. I found them while looking for home theater systems, and they are for cooling the amps, and come in just about every size you could think of.

KC21386
01-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I can easily add a small fan of some sort, and I will definetly look into it. However, I am not really too concerned how hot it gets, as it will be several inches above the tank.

I am also curious what restrike is and how much I should be worried?

Ty
01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
I would guess its the light hitting itself, and not being able to be aimed as the coils are so close to eachother(?!?!?!)

muffin
01-24-2008, 12:55 AM
I think this is what he is talking about:
When the light has been on for a while and warmed up then gets shut off, they need time before they can be turned on again. This is called the restrike time. I haven't heard about it before today.

Totally just guessing here, but if they get too hot they may turn themselves off to cool off then turn back on again. Once again, just a guess.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/mwmhl/restrikeTimes.asp