PDA

View Full Version : Sorry about the downtime

William
01-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry about the extended downtime. Everything including shop main and the arcade should be back up and running but we lost about 6 hours of posts as we had to revert to the last backup. This mean that you might notice some of your posts gone. Please feel welcome to repost them.

For those who might know what happened I can tell you that it was due to human error. An error occurred in the db. This can happen from time to time on a well used db as the one this forum runs on. (Communication between two machines gets a little distorted.) This Db error caused the shop main and the arcade to malfunction. To resolve this the server technician for the server company I use thought we had to revert to the backup. To my dismay it turns out that nothing on the forum works once the database is restored. So I am starting to tell the server company that they made some mistake somehow because nothing is working. They check and say the db is working, I say that it isn't, and the hours pass. To make things worse the technician I worked with goes of his shift so I end up in limbo for a couple of hours. Then I get assigned a new technician who repeats that the DB works as it should and that it has to be a software error and that I should talk to the people who made the forum. I get even more irritated and start looking around myself and discover that the technician who restored the DB missed to restore a large part of it. 22 entire DB tables are missing entirely from the DB. I bring this to the attention of my new technician who re restore the db from the backup and voila. Here we are. (many hours and much frustration later)

Guess that teaches me not to think other people should be better at finding the errors they made just because they are more knowledgeable in server maintenance etc. (but I guess it’s a hard error for them to see who don't know my exact setup.)

I will not name the server company as I generally are very happy with them and still think they are the best company around even after this little debacle.

Once again sorry for the downtime. Hopefully it won't be repeated.!
:11:

Also I would like to thank everyone who sent me emails about the problem. It brings the problem to my attention even if I don't have the time to visit the site. So please email me if you experince any downtime in the future.

Thanks again

Drumachine09
01-23-2008, 10:32 PM
AC just HAD to go down the day I was sick and had nothing to do.

Lol.

No worries. All is well again. Great job on getting it back up so fast though!

Incredulous_Ed
01-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Thank you William. We love you!

country_boy454
01-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Well that explains why the posts are missing! Thats for the heads up william!

William
01-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Felt like an eternity for me. Working on it the last 14 hours.

Please let me know if anyone experince any problems. But all missing users/posts etc should hopefully be back.

And I know shop main and the arcade that started this mess works again.

mitcore
01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
thanks william
you rock

Hailey
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
AC just HAD to go down the day I was sick and had nothing to do.

Lol.

No worries. All is well again. Great job on getting it back up so fast though!

lol, same with me! I'm gald its back up again!

KcEE
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey William! Thanks for getting A.C back up and running again! Whew, luckily you noticed that parts of the db weren't restored! Good job William! thumbs2:

fishfanatic33
01-23-2008, 11:10 PM
I have a question. I sent some PMs yesterday while it was still working and today it shows that I didnt send them. Did the person I PMed get the messages or do I need to PM again? Also I bought a lottery ticket,did still register it?

Thanks for getting it up and running,your the best William!!!

William
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
You better resend the the Pm as we lost what I am told was about 6 hours worth of posts and pms.

it takes some time for the entire backup to be generated and I can't say exactly when the forum was backuped so it might be a little more.

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Willam, you have missed your calling. Maybe you should be hosting your own site since you know more about it than they do. :)

Rue
01-23-2008, 11:55 PM
I was wondering what was up...

Glad you managed to work it out! Hope it didn't disrupt your day too much...

OscarFan
01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
thats why my quiz didnt work. Guess Ill make it again. Glad you got it up and thanks for all the work you put into this site wiliam.

cocoa_pleco
01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
lol, my panic attack is over

RichBowyer
01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
six hours of lost posts includes any votes that were made. I noticed my vote for POTM wasn't there so I revoted. My vote for TOTM was there....I better check MOTM

squirt_12
01-24-2008, 12:19 AM
thanks William :thumb: you rock:19:

Blue Ram
01-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Its alright william, and great job getting running again on the forums!

Thanks!

fins_n_fur
01-24-2008, 06:20 AM
thank you for all of your hard work and patience with the techs and getting us back up and running again! thumbs2: thumbs2: I was beginning to have withdrawals :c11:

crackatinny
01-24-2008, 06:39 AM
I won the daily lottery yesterday, and lost the notification pm and the points LOL

digital3
01-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks for your hard work William. Glad to see things back up and running...

Dave66
01-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Very pleased to see AC up and running again. Thanks very much William, and for your patience in ironing out the problems.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
I think we actually lost more than 6 hours. Like the above poster, I voted in the comps the day before and my votes were cancelled out. I also do not see any of the posts I wrote from the day before.

But the main thing is that it is fixed now. We were all about to join a support group to help us recover from the site being down. LOL

Pr0eve
01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, William, thank you for all your hard work. I know it is not easy keeping things running and doing all this just for the love of the hobby and friends can be hard.

as for the IT Techys, this is why I am going to school for ITM, so I can do it myself. if you want it done right then you need to do it your self, you cant even buy good workmen ship any more.

Pro.

RichBowyer
01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
.............We were all about to join a support group to help us recover from the site being down. LOL

Funny you mention that Hobbs. I used to chat way back when and we all had a place to meet when our chatsite went down.

We need a plan!

cocoa_pleco
01-24-2008, 09:18 PM
lol, when it went down me and ed were on the chat trying to figure something out