PDA

View Full Version : Discus laid eggs. Now...

Fishguy2727
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Two of my discus had been acting like a pair. The other two avoid them and try to stay out of sight. The other night when I fed them this became very apparent. The two were eating and everytime the orange one came out they would chase it off. The other didn't even try while I was watching. So I went out and bought a 3"x12" edging tile for only $3. This afternoon They had laid some eggs.

I plan on letting them keep them. If they eat them I will give them another shot or two. I am looking for people's experiences and recommendations from this point.

Update: They already ate them, no surprise. How often do they usually lay eggs?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/discuseggsa.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/discuseggsb.jpg

Incredulous_Ed
01-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I've heard as often as every week. Probaly every few weeks though.

squirt_12
01-24-2008, 12:45 AM
very cool.
you wouldn't beable to take them out either would you?? like the eggs?? cause don't the fry feed off of the mucous that the parents give off of their bodies???

I got this from a site:

The breeding pair will lay eggs as often as every week, as many as fifteen times. They will usually go through two of these spawning cycles in a year.

supun
02-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Fishguy- You said that when the pair eat, they chase off other discus fish in the tank..But, have you observed that one fish (say the female) in the pair also butts her mate also, when she is eating?

I have observed similar behaviour in my discus tank. I have 11 discus in the same tank, and there is one large discus ( about 4/4.5 inches) and another one is a little smaller.
- Experts, do you reckon this is a mating pair? If the pair feed together, and butt other fish at this time, does this confirm a pair?

Could someone answer this question? Do discus parents need to be in the tank after they have laid their eggs? Is it an option to remove the eggs into a separate hatching tank? I also read that the fry eat the mucous off the mother/father's body.

Fishguy2727
02-21-2008, 04:08 PM
From what I have heard it is very difficult to rear the eggs away from the parents, so it is much better to keep them together.

There is not really any aggression within the pair. They do not carry out any aggressive behavior against each other, just the others in the tank.

A confirmed or proven pair is one that has paired off and produced fertilized eggs.

One being larger and one being smaller does not mean they are a pair.

Have they laid eggs yet?

supun
02-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks fishguy..btw, your royal blue is a beauty!! What is the height of it? Are both male and female this colour? How old was it when you bought it?

No, none of my discuses are laying eggs yet..

supun
02-21-2008, 11:44 PM
fishguy, where did you buy your edging tile? I have been looking everywhere in aquariums in sydney for them..

Fishguy2727
02-22-2008, 03:08 AM
I got them all as ~2" juveniles in the LFS I work at except one that I got from a local breeder. The blue is now about 6" or so tall. His mate is the white one.

I got the tile for $3 at Home Depot. You can use slate or clay pots too, but height is important. If you can find the edging tile definitely go with that.

Incredulous_Ed
02-22-2008, 04:27 AM
How much did you pay for the discus?

Lady Hobbs
02-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Too bad the eggs got eaten as they would have been some little beauties. Maybe next time. Perhaps the parents wouldn't eat the eggs if they were alone with them. The other fish might make them a little nervous.

supun
02-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Fishguy,

I can't see the white one in the picture you have attached. Could you perhaps add it to this post? Is it a snowflake type?

Please keep up-to-date with your discus breeding..

Errmmm.. we dont have Home Depot here, but I should certainly check out some garden stores.

Fishguy2727
02-22-2008, 01:44 PM
From what I have read this is completely normal and expected of discus. I have seen 4 batches so far. Other said it will take about a dozen tries before they figure it out. Others say in about a year I will have some good babies.

Just check hardware and home improvement stores. It will be in with kitchen and bathroom tiles.

Here is a pic of the female. You can always check out the pics in my Photobucket page in my signature.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/whitediscusavatar.jpg

gm72
02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Great job, Fishguy. I don't have any experience with Discus, but to have them breeding surely is an accomplishment in of itself!

Fishguy2727
02-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Thank you. I can't wait for them to let them grow up to babies.

From what I have read the blue is a male and the white is the female. The blue one has longer fins and a higher body and build. I was afraid they were both females when I got eggs only 4 days apart. Turns out that is possible with a true pair, I was afraid it meant they were both females.

supun
02-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Hi Fishguy,

Thanks so much for posting the pic of the white female.

So, you said that the male has a higher build and longer fins than the female. What are the characteristics of the female? Is it generally smaller than the male?

When the eggs hatch, do the fry feed of the mucous of the mother or the father? Ive tried looking everywhere...

Sue

Ocellatus
02-25-2008, 08:24 AM
yes they feed parents mucous but you can separate the eggs and feed them yourself with usual fry foods like newly hatched brine shrimps. breeders here do this.

Dave66
02-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Thank you. I can't wait for them to let them grow up to babies.

From what I have read the blue is a male and the white is the female. The blue one has longer fins and a higher body and build. I was afraid they were both females when I got eggs only 4 days apart. Turns out that is possible with a true pair, I was afraid it meant they were both females.

Fishguy,
Its very common for a pair of Discus to eat the first spawn, and can eat several in a row until they get the hang of it. About half of the time they work it out. If they don't, you'll need to keep switching out pairs until they get it right.
Of course, you know the contributing factor is the practice breeders have used forever by removing the eggs from the parents as soon as they are laid so the pairs spawn more often. Certainly doesn't select for proper parents.
The fry will be larger and more robust if the parents are allowed to raise them. Same with angelfish.

Dave

Fishguy2727
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Females are usually rounder. There are diagrams for sexing them. Here (http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/sexingdiscus.shtml) is one.

jbeining75
02-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Nice fishguy... Nice spawning there... Pics of the little guys when they happen..... Beautiful discus by the way...

supun
02-27-2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks Fishguy. I actually saw this article before..A geometrical way of telling them apart seems valid, but when you are actually looking at them in the tank, its hard, without them staying still...

Fishguy2727
02-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Same here. And my 'male' is not quite as robust as others I have seen, at least not yet.

emboli
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
wow what an achievement, i dont have any discus experience but i know theyre very expensive to buy and probably difficult to breed. Im thinking of getting some in the future once i learn a bit more about them