PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish molting

Drint
01-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Happen to be walking by my tank and seen one of my crays on it's back, at first I thought it was dead, but it was molting , by the time i got my camera (45 secs) it was almost done did get a pic tho. Just for anyone who's never seen a crayfish molt, I havent untill now:18:

First pic is right before he got done, second is him laying there taking a break i guess heh anyways enjoy

snipers_den
01-22-2008, 05:46 AM
....pretty cool photos....

squirt_12
01-24-2008, 01:05 AM
very cool. I used to have a crayfish. lol.

did you leave the shell in there???? leave it in there as they will eat it to get the calcium out of it since they lose a bunch when they molt.

Drint
01-24-2008, 03:26 AM
very cool. I used to have a crayfish. lol.

did you leave the shell in there???? leave it in there as they will eat it to get the calcium out of it since they lose a bunch when they molt.

Yeah I leave them in there, they dont last to long tho, I actually have some pics in my gallery of them eating the exoskeleton thumbs2:

squirt_12
01-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah I leave them in there, they dont last to long tho, I actually have some pics in my gallery of them eating the exoskeleton thumbs2:
very cool....how long have you had him/her?????

Drint
01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
very cool....how long have you had him/her?????

I actually have 3 , it's been about 3-4 weeks now , I was worried that they would fight,, attack my fish etc.. but they seem to be doing fine, if they see each other 99% of the time the smaller one will justback down and jet off backwards.

spottedbass
02-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Neato...

Iv'e had a crayfish for about a year and he's never molted
should that concern me?
Im pretty sure its safe to assume taht hes just fully grown but just thought id make sure

karbomb
02-04-2008, 03:06 AM
thats awesome,
this morning my wood shrimp looked very red and wasn't very active. i thought there was something wrong with him, but then i saw his molt a few inches from him. it was awesome. he hasn't molted before that i've seen, as i have only had him for a week and a half. i have little ghost shrimp and when they molt, you barely see it. but the wood shrimps was huge! i took his molt out and saved it.

Drint
02-04-2008, 04:05 AM
thats awesome,
this morning my wood shrimp looked very red and wasn't very active. i thought there was something wrong with him, but then i saw his molt a few inches from him. it was awesome. he hasn't molted before that i've seen, as i have only had him for a week and a half. i have little ghost shrimp and when they molt, you barely see it. but the wood shrimps was huge! i took his molt out and saved it.

Yeah they are fun to watchthumbs2:
Also I think your supposed to leave the molts in because they eat them to regain calicum for new shell:ezpi_wink1:

Drint
02-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Neato...

Iv'e had a crayfish for about a year and he's never molted
should that concern me?
Im pretty sure its safe to assume taht hes just fully grown but just thought id make sure

I'm not sure but I think when grown the stop molting,, havent researched it heh

karbomb
02-04-2008, 04:07 AM
my singapore wood shrimp is a filter eater, so i don't think he would or could eat it. but i leave them in for the ghosties.

jbeining75
02-04-2008, 04:48 AM
those are some pretty crazy photos.... caught in the act....