PDA

View Full Version : ?'s on blue acaras

Arkie
01-22-2008, 04:05 AM
hey hey all, i got a pair of blue acaras and their two 5cm babies last night. the babies seem to be in good condition but the adults are not.
they are both pale with some scales missing and the female has ragged fins (like something has bitten her not to long ago- the male????).
they are all together in a 3 ft long tank with a 700l/p/hr powerhead filter. they are eating and swimming fine, so im thinking if i just keep doing regular water changes, maybe every 3-4 days and feed them lots of flake and frozen bloodworms, do you think they will come good in the end?
id put melafix in there too but the females fins have already started to heal and its only a few scales on them that are missing. any help or advice would be appreciated, thanx guys

Dave66
01-22-2008, 04:12 AM
hey hey all, i got a pair of blue acaras and their two 5cm babies last night. the babies seem to be in good condition but the adults are not.
they are both pale with some scales missing and the female has ragged fins (like something has bitten her not to long ago- the male????).
they are all together in a 3 ft long tank with a 700l/p/hr powerhead filter. they are eating and swimming fine, so im thinking if i just keep doing regular water changes, maybe every 3-4 days and feed them lots of flake and frozen bloodworms, do you think they will come good in the end?
id put melafix in there too but the females fins have already started to heal and its only a few scales on them that are missing. any help or advice would be appreciated, thanx guys

The damage to the adults is relatively normal. Sometimes both parents do the egg/fry guarding together, sometimes the female does all the guarding and the male prowls the parameter, or vice versa. Sounds like the male was doing the guarding, she tried to either try to help or tried to eat the fry, and he attacked her for it. Blue's very, very rarely kill their mates, and they are physically tough little fish; they'll heal. In a larger tank she could have got away from him, and wouldn't have suffered the little hurts.
Just feed and water change as per usual. She'll be fine.

Dave

Arkie
01-22-2008, 04:16 AM
thanx dave. i was a bit concerned but i feel better now. cheers