PDA

View Full Version : pond question

lbj41
01-22-2008, 01:50 AM
on my property there is a man made stream(springhouse fed) with 2 shallow pond areas. right now i have small goldfish in a tank and planned on getting a 75 gallon for when they fully grow. i was wondering if i could dig the 2 pond sections deeper and use them for my goldfish. the water is clean and the only other large animals are frogs and maybe a garter snake.

Dave66
01-22-2008, 02:04 AM
on my property there is a man made stream(springhouse fed) with 2 shallow pond areas. right now i have small goldfish in a tank and planned on getting a 75 gallon for when they fully grow. i was wondering if i could dig the 2 pond sections deeper and use them for my goldfish. the water is clean and the only other large animals are frogs and maybe a garter snake.

The garter would eat the goldfish if it got the chance. If the goldfish is small enough, so would the frogs. Since its your property, why don't you build your own pond? With the proper liners and filtration they aren't difficult to build, although they are labour intensive building them.

Dave

lbj41
01-22-2008, 02:17 AM
The garter would eat the goldfish if it got the chance. If the goldfish is small enough, so would the frogs. Since its your property, why don't you build your own pond? With the proper liners and filtration they aren't difficult to build, although they are labour intensive building them.

Dave

i know you can get the plastic shells for them from lowes or home depot, but how much would the shell cost? filtration wouldnt be a problem im pretty sure you could use a regular aquarium filter, larger though

lbj41
01-22-2008, 02:29 AM
i also just saw the thread with the 500 gallon above ground pond. i think i could do something like that just on a smaller scale, maybe 200 gallons or so, its only 5 goldfish

smaug
01-22-2008, 03:52 AM
having your pond above ground is ok if you do not live in an area that will freeze deeply.If you do then an above ground pond is likely to freeze solid.Liners for ponds are not too expensive,but you better like the work and maintenance.Pre formed shells are about 150.00 for a 250 gal.Flexible liners are cheaper and afford you more creativity in the design.

Arkie
01-22-2008, 04:14 AM
i used the flexible pond liner when i dug my pond for my turtles. geez this was years back though... pre-kid days lol. i found it was cheaper and easier, the depth was decided on how much i wanted to dig. when i was sick of digging i chucked the liner in and filled her up :19: :19: :19: