PDA

View Full Version : Minnows or Goldfish?

Tooch
01-21-2008, 05:35 PM
All other aspects aside, which has more nutritional value for your fish? I feed my fish feeders a couple times a week, but I just read somewhere that minnows are actually more nutritional than goldfish... Does anyone know this to be true? I thought goldfish have creatine (or something) that helps bring the orange out in oscars. Any info is appreciated!

Incredulous_Ed
01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
To be honest, I have no idea. What fish are you keeping that need live foods?

EDIT: never mind, you have an oscar. Feeding live feeders is dangerous because they can be diseased, which will spread to the fish eating it. Can you obtain New Life Spectrum foods? Those will be much better than for your oscar's health and color than feeders.

cocoa_pleco
01-22-2008, 01:23 AM
i agree, i would get off of feeders. in the wild oscars rarely eat other fish. it would be best to get him on NLS or hikari gold+

Incredulous_Ed
01-22-2008, 02:23 AM
True., In th wild oscars are predtors, but mainly eat fruits.

Fishguy2727
01-22-2008, 03:26 AM
They may have a little plant matter in their diet, but they don't eat mainly fruits.

Live foods can introduce parasites and diseases. They are nutritionally incomplete. And they increase aggression.

Both minnows and goldfish are bad for them. They are not complete or balanced. The best diet I have ever usedis New Life Spectrum exclusively, which is exactly what all my fish get. If you can't get it at your LFS then order it online, it is worth it, really the only thing worth feeding in almost all cases in my opinion and experience.

Incredulous_Ed
01-22-2008, 03:46 AM
They may have a little plant matter in their diet, but they don't eat mainly fruits.
Oh, then never mind.

Algenco
01-22-2008, 03:50 AM
for a live food treat, give them nitecrawlers, yhey love them, no parasites to worry about

Arkie
01-22-2008, 04:21 AM
what about earthworms? my oscars get live earthworms once a week, they love it. just make sure where you get them from is chemical free. i get mine from my aunty's worm farm, lol free food gotta love that:18:

Fishguy2727
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Nightcrawlers/worms have a much lower risk than fish, but I do not think they are 100% safe. They are not necessary so I wouldn't feed them.

Blue Ram
01-25-2008, 04:41 AM
I feed goldfish since they are cheaper. 10 cents. I dont know which is more nutritional but i do know that buying feeders from stores is dangerous since it may bring a disease to your fish. A safer way to do it is to breed your own which i have been thinking about doing myself Good Luck!

cocoa_pleco
01-25-2008, 05:24 AM
my old post got wiped out in the site crash.

some nightcrawlers can bring in fatal parasites