PDA

View Full Version : plans for a 55 gallon glass tank

lbj41
01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
does anybody have plans for a 55 gallon glass tank? building one myself will be much cheaper than buying one at petco or something

Tooch
01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
In the end it may be cheaper, but maybe not worth the hassle. Our we bought a 75gal from our lfs for $130. If you end up getting a 55gal for under $100, then I'd do it. Not only do you not have to worry about actually building the tank, you won't (typically) have to worry about leaking and blowouts. 55gallons is alot of water all over the floor and your electrical plugs. I'll pay for the peace of mind.

Lady Hobbs
01-21-2008, 02:25 PM
HUH? Building a tank, worrying about the glass fitting properly, buying the brace for around it, making sure it doesn't leak will be one heck of a hassle when you can just buy one. I got my last one, tank only, for $89 from a pet store. I got my kit which included everything from Walmart for $158. The kits stink, tho. Lousy heater, lousy hood and lousy filter so just get the tank only and add what you want. A glass hood is about $20.

Becikeja
01-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I have not used these guys but have been considering it. They have really good prices. What I have been able to find out so far leads me to believe they are good quality as well. http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2

ANy out there used them?

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 06:39 PM
its not really effective to build your own tank if its under 100g, factories make them so fast and can sell them so cheap that making yourown isnt too effectice

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't even attempt it. No fun to get a tank all set up to find it's a leaker. I paid $89 for my 55 gallon and added the filter I wanted and a glass top. I couldn't make one for that price.

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2008, 07:39 PM
lol, i paid $90 for my 90g brand new from the store, if i tried to make it the tank would be wobbly and there would be silicone allover

Tjones
01-27-2008, 03:22 AM
check ebay i got my 55 on there for 50 dollars i had to drive to las vegas which is about 3 hour round trip but w/e it was a steal! also try checking classified ads online for your area and or the news paper some people practicaly throw the things at you!

Becikeja
01-27-2008, 02:11 PM
When you factor in gas, time and gambling, that deal sounds expensive. But what an excuse to party in Vegas.

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 03:54 PM
You're gonna need 1/4 inch tempered glass. Bottom and top casing and the glass is a pain to sill. You can get new 55 gallons from the local pet store with stands for around $200. You can't have air bubbles in the seems or the tank looses strength. Top sill needs to have bow break. Its a mess that little trust me. It's cheaper and less headache to buy one that small. Cost effective buildind starts at about 110 gallons. Please trust us on this one.

jbeining75
01-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Most store bought 55 gallons have a footprint (bottom) of 4 feet by 12.5 inches. Most are 21 inches tall you can play with the footprint though. More footprint thicker glass on bottom. More height thicker glass on side. 1/4 inch tempered would be minimum. Good luck and hopefully you don't have 55 gallons of water in your living room next week.

PS. When building a glass tank (from experience) I find it helpful not to stress out and kick the glass when the seems don't sill. You just have to buy more glass...lol