PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to speed things up?

Dragon cqzzzzz<
01-21-2008, 05:28 AM
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but, is there any way that I can make the change to brackish faster? After about three weeks my specific gravity is at about 1.003. I'm so tired of measuring the SG every time I add salt to the water in the bucket and then washing the hydrometer. It's taking such a long time and it's really stressfull.
I've been told that the reason you have to change it at a gradual pace is because making the tank brackish quickly kills off all the bacteria. Considering that somehow these bacteria are adapting either genetically or just physically adjusting to the changes, couldn't I change it to brackish over the course of a couple hours and then put in Bio-Spira? That's just a thought.
Also, I've read that in large ammounts, duckweed helps out doing the same job as the bacteria. I recently found what I am almost certain is duckweed in a big hollowed out ditch in my back yard. It seems to be growing and reproducing like duckweed, and looks exactly like it. I have it in my 55, 10, and 1.5 gallon tanks. Couldn't I use it to my advantage somehow?
Here's another thought. Someone told me they acclimated guppies to full marine conditions in just a week. Does this mean there's some way to acclimate a tank just .002 SG more in that time without annihilating the bacteria?
Thanks for any responses.