PDA

View Full Version : 2 panda corys in a tank with medium/small goldfish

lbj41
01-21-2008, 12:46 AM
i would like to put 1 or 2 panda corys in my current tank (10g). i have 1 4in common goldfish, 2 1/2 inch calicos, 1 1.5in oranda, and 1 2in black moor. none of them are aggressive what so ever and the tank always has excellent water quality. would the goldies harm the corys or will i be able to add them? im planning on upgrading to a 35 gallon in the future

shockshockshad
01-21-2008, 01:06 AM
1 Goldfish needs to be in a 55 gallon or larger, and more for more fish. your 5 glodfish need a 95 gallon or larger. They are also coldwater fuish, and cories are tropical, so even if you did have a large tank, they could not go in there.

PS cories need to be in a school of 4 or more, and you can only fit 4 in your tank.

tropfish
01-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Personally shockshockshad, i live by the goldfish rule of 30g per torpedo goldfich (comets, etc.) and 10g for each additional one, or 20g per fancy goldifsh and 10g per additional one. you really need at least a 70g tank at least.

Kaga's Kritters
01-21-2008, 01:23 AM
that is a lot of goldfish in a 10 gal. you need at least a 20 gal for one fancy gold fish, for what you have you should have them in something 55gal or larger. they are all going to get very big and they are very dirty fish so they need a very large tank. also they are coldwater fish and the cories are tropical, so that won't work anyway.

lbj41
01-21-2008, 01:46 AM
thanks i wasnt sure about whether they were tropical or not, hence asking about them. i heard somewhere about 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water, i think its a pretty good standard seeing as my water is in good condition constantly, with a 2 1/2 gallon water change every 4 days

lbj41
01-21-2008, 02:08 AM
and it is two half inch calicos, not a few 2 1/2in ones

Rue
01-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Well, the rule is only a guideline and goldfish are very large bodied fish, big eaters, and poop-machines...so they need extra space and extra filtration...

That rule of thumb should also take in adult sizes when considering tank size...the fancies often mature to 8"...but with their girth you might be better off considering them to be 10"...

As to your question...when I had my goldfish upstairs, I did keep them with cories...

But goldfish really do much better in cold water...and cories in warm...so I haven't mixed them for eons...best not to...

In your case, you're already overstocked, so don't add any more fish...

shockshockshad
01-21-2008, 03:04 AM
thanks i wasnt sure about whether they were tropical or not, hence asking about them. i heard somewhere about 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water, i think its a pretty good standard seeing as my water is in good condition constantly, with a 2 1/2 gallon water change every 4 days

You should be changing 40% weekkly (4 gallons). glofish get 10 inches long, but you shouldnt folow that rule for larger fish, but even if you did, you would need a 50 gallon tank or bigger. but for you, get a 75 gallon, becasue you shoudln't follow the rule.

lbj41
01-21-2008, 03:14 AM
right now i dont have any room for a large tank. i also dont have the money that they cost at the moment so ill upgrade when i have the money, or when my fish get bigger(whichever comes first) so thanks for all the help. ill tough it out for now

shockshockshad
01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
you can return the goldfish, and get into tropcial fish. there are many fish you can have in a 10 gallon, including cories.