PDA

View Full Version : My poor little peacock...please help!!!!!

Matt23
01-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello,

I have a peacock cichlid in my 28gal tank as you may know (my sig) and the female looks really strange. I think it's hexamita (hole in the head) but when i did research i read it kills of cichlids quickly. My tank is crystal clear, and is in perfect water water quality (i did a water test). It looks like on the female's head the skin is decaying or eroding? Then there are little pores everywhere (certainly not ich). i also have a german red cichlid who is semi aggressive and has about 5 scales missing. PLS. Help i don't want my peacock to die! I feel sorry for the german red aswell. The peacock was my first cichlid, so it'll be a real hard loss if it dies.:confused: :(

Dave66
01-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Hello,

I have a peacock cichlid in my 28gal tank as you may know (my sig) and the female looks really strange. I think it's hexamita (hole in the head) but when i did research i read it kills of cichlids quickly. My tank is crystal clear, and is in perfect water water quality (i did a water test). It looks like on the female's head the skin is decaying or eroding? Then there are little pores everywhere (certainly not ich). i also have a german red cichlid who is semi aggressive and has about 5 scales missing. PLS. Help i don't want my peacock to die! I feel sorry for the german red aswell. The peacock was my first cichlid, so it'll be a real hard loss if it dies.:confused: :(

What are you feeding them? One kind of food? Add more variety to the diet; buy five or six different kinds/brands of food. Hexamita is a secondary infection. Varied diet prevents it.

Dave

Dave

Matt23
01-20-2008, 09:55 PM
I am feeding them:

Tetra Color (Primary)
Vegetable Flakes (Secondary)
Freeze Dried Plankton (Secondary)

Fishalicious
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
There are excellent foto's and advice about HITH on this site:
http://www.worldcichlids.com/diseases/Adamhith.html

I usually come it across most through vitamin deficiency and not bad water as described also by the author in the above article.

If this is the start of HITH then it is usually very cureable - try and stay calm :luxlove: as hard as it may be..

Maybe your two cichlids just had a falling out and a little scuffle which is why both have signs of fighting?

I will keep my fingers and toes all crossed for you that you find out what is wrong and it is solved quickly xxxx

EDIT: Course Dave beat me to posting again.... nice how great minds think alike though xxxx

Matt23
01-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Omg nice site; awesome pics aswell. Those pics look a lot like a couple of my fish when i thought they had hith.... so it was my third occurence. Thnx for the help!! :)

fins_n_fur
01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Being new to fishkeeping, I have been wondering what the heck HITH looks like. Thanks for posting that link...I know now what to look for...just in case. Thanks, Jess.

Fishalicious
01-21-2008, 09:48 PM
No probs... I really hope your fish are feeling better soon... please let us know how they get on xxx

Fishguy2727
01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/HITH-HLLE.php) is this site's article on HITH/HLLE.

However, it is very rare in rift lake cichlids.
Do you have any pics?
Any redness?
Are they getting bigger?
What is the nitrate concentration?

Try and get New Life Spectrum. It is the best diet out there and works best when it is the only thing fed. It is the only thing I feed to all my fish.