PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing plants

gm72
01-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I know this has been asked a dozen times before, but can someone remind me of some good places from which to purchase plants? Low light varieties will be what I'm after.

Dave66
01-20-2008, 07:34 PM
GM,
A lot of my plants came from floridadriftwood.com. Got a lot from aquariumlandscapes.net, but they quit selling plants over a year ago and just sell planted tank equipment nowadays.

Dave

gm72
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Dave, I just looked at that site. Great prices so it seems but it is listing the crypts as medium to high light. I thought crypts were low light? Do you have some plants that you have seen on that site that you feel would do well in my 40 gallon long sand tank (80 watts of light)?

shockshockshad
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
azgardens.com. very cheap, and if you get next day shipping, they plants are great. my ludwigia i got from there probably grew 3 inches in a week.

Dave66
01-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Dave, I just looked at that site. Great prices so it seems but it is listing the crypts as medium to high light. I thought crypts were low light? Do you have some plants that you have seen on that site that you feel would do well in my 40 gallon long sand tank (80 watts of light)?

GM,
Becket's and wendtii would work for you, as they are easy, and balansae in the future when the tank is three or four months old. When Dwight says medium light, he means about 2 wpg, which you got. Pretty much all the Anubis he has would work in low to mid light. You could probably get away with Aponogeton ulvaceus, as that was the first aquatic plant I ever grew, and it grew like mad under a single 40 watt over a 55 in plain gravel. Dwarf chain sword yes. Stay away from the other larger swords; they'd dominate your tank. The low/mid Sagittarias yes, Vals the same. Stay away from the stem plants; they'll be leggy, weak and unattractive in 2 watts.
You know a bit about aquatic plants. If it says low-mid you could most likely keep it. Mid-high, depends on what it is. Most Crypts are OK, lot of the Aponos aren't. Stay away from things like Lilaeopsis, only very high light, top shelf substrate and 30 ppm Co2 will get that thing growing. Most of the swords you could, but a lot of them are great big, and in a 40, you could keep little else if you had one. All the tape-leaves, Sags and Vals, no problem.

Dave

gm72
01-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the guidance. You stated I know a bit about aquatic plants. I know a VERY little bit, but I'll take your comment as a compliment!

Do you have any suggestions for specific plants and numbers of such for this 40 gallon long? I suspect that the lighting and plant tabs will be here maybe on Wednesday, so plant ordering should probably happen pretty soon I should think.

Sorry folks for asking so many questions, I have just been put off by my algae-infested dual 10-gallon planted tanks that I want to make sure I do things the right way the first time!

Dave66
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks a lot for the guidance. You stated I know a bit about aquatic plants. I know a VERY little bit, but I'll take your comment as a compliment!

Do you have any suggestions for specific plants and numbers of such for this 40 gallon long? I suspect that the lighting and plant tabs will be here maybe on Wednesday, so plant ordering should probably happen pretty soon I should think.

Sorry folks for asking so many questions, I have just been put off by my algae-infested dual 10-gallon planted tanks that I want to make sure I do things the right way the first time!

Easy, five tennelus in the front. Couple three wendtii to counterpoint the light green of the tennelus. If you have wood, tie on some Java moss. How many depends on the length of the wood, but one bunch every four or five inches so they'll have room to spread out, which they do slowly when they are happy. Back, one or two becket's, with about a dozen corkscrew vals behind them.
In about three or four months you'll have about 25 tennelus, two dozen Vals. You could add balansae to either end of the tank; four or six of them on each side. If you have a lot of wood, you could tie on some Anubis nana wherever it pleases you. The dark green of them behind the light green of tennelus will look good.
If you just do a handful of species, its a lot easier to do a layout with, and when they grow in, the tank will look lush.
Forget the stems and glosso he has, but this (http://www.aquaristics.com/img/ada34.jpg) is what I mean about the Anubis nana. That's Java moss on the tall wood.

Dave

Tigerbarb
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Check your lfs if you have one. Someone will usually tell you what kind of lighting a plant needs.

Incredulous_Ed
01-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Mike's wet petz on ebay.