PDA

View Full Version : This HAS to be pairing

Incredulous_Ed
01-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Well the dominant male bolivian ram, who usually chases all other rams out of his territory, has begun hovering around the female all the time. He also wll display his fin and try to rub his body against hers, and while he does he kinda shimmys. But she isnt that interested in him and then she pecks him. Is this pairing? and why is the female ignoring him?

shockshockshad
01-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Can't really be a help, but i know in a lot of fish (such as swordtails) that the males tend to bother the females a lot. This might be the same thing. I have seen blood parrots rub against eachother too. they are both cichlds, but I dont know if that makes a difference. Not a very good cichlid person here.

Dave66
01-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Well the dominant male bolivian ram, who usually chases all other rams out of his territory, has begun hovering around the female all the time. He also wll display his fin and try to rub his body against hers, and while he does he kinda shimmys. But she isnt that interested in him and then she pecks him. Is this pairing? and why is the female ignoring him?

She's either not ready to breed or she finds the male insufficient. It's probably the former, as she'd openly attack him and drive him away if she didn't want his advances. He'll have to be more patient with her.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks. What should I do to get the female ready for breeding?

Dave66
01-20-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks. What should I do to get the female ready for breeding?

I dunno Ed, tickle her behind the ear? Just kidding. Feed her some live food, like Daphnia, live brine shrimp, or whatever clean live food that's either crustacean or insect-based (like skeeter larvae) that you can find. Start giving her live every other meal, and that'll get her in the mood. Increase the colors, as well, and you'll get a better egg yield.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks. Unfortuanetly, I cannot get live food for a while. Will Frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp work?

If I can ctach some fruit flies, will that work?

Also, should I add like a flowerpot cave or something?

Dave66
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks. Unfortuanetly, I cannot get live food for a while. Will Frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp work?

If I can ctach some fruit flies, will that work?

Ed,
Yep, any little flying insect would work. Most well-equipped local fish stores either have live foods on hand, like California black worms, or fortified adult brine shrimp, or can order them for you. I don't know what your situation is, but live food is pretty easy to culture yourself. Look here (http://www.lfscultures.com/). That's where most of my start-ups come from. The others and some equipment for larger cultures come from here (http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm).
A live food culture doesn't have to be large. You could culture wingless Dropsilia species fruit flies in a gallon milk jug.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
The problem is I cant get a ride to the LFS that sells live brine shrimp and blackworms for a while.