PDA

View Full Version : stocking a 10-gallon-10x20

fishme
01-19-2008, 08:13 PM
hi,yesterday i just purchased an aqua culture standard 10-gallon starter kit.
that included power filter,with bio-fiber biological filitiration,filter cartridge,full
incandescent light hood-with bulbs,water conditioner.2 types of fish food
and that's it.it cost me 24.95,any ways i cleaned and washed the gravel,and decrorations and later on i'am going to add water and treat it with the dechloriatior,and cut the secton out of the back of the hood for the filter,and
start the water cycle,and not add fish for 4 weeks but,add bio-fish in a couple of weeks,to get it started off,in a good, direction,but after all of this

about how many tetras can i stock in the tank?

and i was thinking about having two mickey mouse platies, 5 neon tetras and ?(what other type of fresh water fish,can be included too.but two of the same species,

or what fish can i stock to the 10-gallon.to make a tropical freshwater aquarium?

thanks any info would be great.

shockshockshad
01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Hmm, you could go with:

6 neon tetras
3 platies
4 corydoras catfish (not peppered or bronze or albino- they get too big for a 10gal)
1 dwarf gourami.

NickFish
01-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Shocks idea would be good.
When you get the platies get all male or all female or you will have 2000000 fry the next morning!:hmm3grin2orange:

You could also put in harlequin rasboras instead of the neons, or cardinals or some other type of glow light.

I think that honeys are really the only kind of gourami that should go in a 10 gallon. Honey Gouramis are much smaller than dwarf or opaline and are much more peaceful and less aggressive.

For corys you can go with Panda Corydoras as they are fairly small and easy to find.

Are you doing fishless or fishful cycle? Planning on any live plants? And also what are the 2 types of food you bought?

karbomb
01-20-2008, 01:28 AM
if you want more interesting fish you could put a bolivian ram http://www.gcca.net/fom/fom_pix/Microgeophagus_altispinosa.jpg.
and a few threadfin rainbowshttp://www.solodvds.com/images/fish/Iriatherina_werneri.jpg
just make sure you have some plants (real or fake)
and lots of hiding places for the ram.

tropfish
01-20-2008, 02:38 AM
i think a 10g is really too small for rams. Shocks idea is the best, i would follow that.

Tigerbarb
01-20-2008, 05:17 AM
What a deal! all of the FW aquarium kits I see are about $50 and up.
With incandescent lighting, algae grows alot, so I would suggest a CAE or snail for a clean up crew. If you plan to get tetras, a blue or black background film will really sharpen the color of them. Especially cardinals or neons.

shockshockshad
01-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, rams should be really in a 25 gallon or more. I thought my idea was just a guide, but if you really like it, it is a great combo of fish.

NickFish
01-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Bolivian rams way to big for 10 gal.
I'd get 6 small tetras, a honey or dwarf gourami, and 4 peppered corys.
If you do get the honey gourami you'll probably have room for 3 platies but it all depends on how often you do the water changes.

karbomb
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
sorry i thought a dwarf cichlid could be kept in a 10g. misinformed.