PDA

View Full Version : Alive and well!

robnepper
01-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, good news. The Oto that I bought the other day is doing very well. He has tons of what he would call food and I would call work in the tank. I didn't realize how much the plecco contributed to the cleanlinesses of my tank until I got rid of him. Are there any pleccos that stay small?

Big thanks to Dave66 for the heads up on dripping him, it worked very well. The only hazard was my toddler.

My 10 gallon now has three spotted, and two peppered corys, an oto, a zebra snail and believe it or not, a male and ( pregnant ) female guppie. The reason that I got the guppies is that I have been offered a free 20 gallon setup. I will use that as my main tank and the ten as my grow out. Now I just have to get my wife on board. HMMM.

mitcore
01-20-2008, 07:37 AM
i dont know about plecos but the bristle nose sucker is smaller then a pleco

they get big i am unsure on stats but they are smaller then a pleco LOL

CAX474
01-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Plecco catfish, the biggest I have seen was 10", I dont know how old he was but the lfs had him for more than 8yrs in the shop.

Dave66
01-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, good news. The Oto that I bought the other day is doing very well. He has tons of what he would call food and I would call work in the tank. I didn't realize how much the plecco contributed to the cleanlinesses of my tank until I got rid of him. Are there any pleccos that stay small?

Big thanks to Dave66 for the heads up on dripping him, it worked very well. The only hazard was my toddler.

My 10 gallon now has three spotted, and two peppered corys, an oto, a zebra snail and believe it or not, a male and ( pregnant ) female guppie. The reason that I got the guppies is that I have been offered a free 20 gallon setup. I will use that as my main tank and the ten as my grow out. Now I just have to get my wife on board. HMMM.

Any Peckoltia species would work as they top out at four inches and are tough as nails hardy-wise, and you can usually find them in stores if you look for them. There are lots and lots of plecos that stay small. If you look through the 'cat-a-log' at planetcatfish.com. Then look at Exotic Finds (http://www.exoticfinds.net/firstplecopage.html) to see what's available and the prices you could expect to pay for some of the rarer species. Most of the exotic plecos are still wild caught, thus the high prices.

Dave

robnepper
01-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks guys. I'll check into the Peckoltia thing.