PDA

View Full Version : mollyzilla

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2008, 07:05 AM
about 4 months ago i bought 2 gold dust mollies, slim and trim, and theyve always been in my 15g long with a gourami, fluval 205 canister filtration

i feed them a pinch of flakes every 2 days and a tad of frozen food every week, i purposely placed a 24w HO light at the front of the tank to get algae for them to graze on and its working.

one is as trim as the day as i got it but one seriously looks like a balloon molly now, huge and fat. ive never seen any fry and theyre not at all sick. i dont overfeed either.

any reason why i have a blimp?

Dave66
01-18-2008, 07:36 AM
about 4 months ago i bought 2 gold dust mollies, slim and trim, and theyve always been in my 15g long with a gourami, fluval 205 canister filtration

i feed them a pinch of flakes every 2 days and a tad of frozen food every week, i purposely placed a 24w HO light at the front of the tank to get algae for them to graze on and its working.

one is as trim as the day as i got it but one seriously looks like a balloon molly now, huge and fat. ive never seen any fry and theyre not at all sick. i dont overfeed either.

any reason why i have a blimp?

Two things, cocoa. Either she's a very pregnant female, or the dry flakes you've been feeding them have compacted into her intestinal tract, where the flakes hydrated and caused a blockage. Time to defrost a some frozen peas to feed them. Boil the peas a minute or so to soften them, and then feed a few every day until the mollie slims down. Switch to pellets rather than flakes, as they won't compact.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
hmm, never thought about the blockage. i forgot to mention i feed them supersoft pellets every few days so i'll try skipping flakes