PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Gourami: yes or no?

travie
01-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Would I be able to fit a dwarf in my 29g tank? If not would I be able to fit one in if I take out the danios? And should I try to get a male and female? Decided to ask about a dwarf gourami since angels sounded to problematic in a 29g.

mitcore
01-18-2008, 04:41 AM
i dont know much about danios, but it would be fine to add a dwarf
they are non agressive and small LOL

slinky
01-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Would I be able to fit a dwarf in my 29g tank? If not would I be able to fit one in if I take out the danios? And should I try to get a male and female? Decided to ask about a dwarf gourami since angels sounded to problematic in a 29g.
If you've got the 22 fish in that tank as you've got listed, I'd venture to say that you're already easily bordering on overstocked. If I was going to get another fish I'd get a second panda cory in a heartbeat. While they will hang out with other cory species they are truly only comfortable with their own, preferably in groups of no less than 3. I've seen this myself to confirm it's true.

travie
01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I had two pandas, but one passed away. Would I just be bordering overstocked if I take the Danios out and put in one Dwarf Gourami?

Demi ^_^
01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
What about this?

- 3 Otos
- 5 Pygmy Cories
- 4 Panda Cories
- 10 Neon tetras
- 1 Dwarf Gourami

I think it'll be fine with this ammount - but don't take my word for it!

Everyone else, please tell me if I got this all wrong - beginner at work, lol!

Nautilus291
01-18-2008, 01:41 PM
That sounds like it could work but I would honestly say nogo for the gouramis. They arent hardy at all and get diseases very easily which could pass onto your tetras and other fish. I would say if you want to add fish go with some more corys. They are alot more exiting to watch when they are in big groups( I have 11 in my 55g). The fast movements of your tetras might bother a gourami and keep him stressed out to the point of developing a disease.

If you are set on getting a gourami or 2 it would be fine to get 2 males and what demi said could work. Most dwarfs sold in lfs are males because the females lack the color the males have and are a grayish/lightblue color.

Demi ^_^
01-18-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree with Nautilus29 - Although I personally don't own cories... yet, I've heard very great stuff about them :)

Maybe this?
I added more cories and 2 more tetras, as I think tetras may look better in bigger schools :)

- 3 Otos
- 6 Pygmy Cories
- 6 Panda Cories
- 12 Neon tetras

But all in all, its your desision :)

Sorry if its overstocked, I'm no good at this lol.

travie
01-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm worried about overstocking first. The problem in my area is finding panda and pygmy cories.

Nautilus291
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
he's right its up to you but remember we have to think whats best for the fish. I've had times(everytime I walk into a pet store) where I think well maybe I could get this fish and put it here. But we have to remember we are trying to make a great enviorment for our fish to live in. I think demi's last suggestion is a good one. As long as you keep up with water changes you will be alright.

Demi ^_^
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Agree again, lol!

BTW, did you mean this one?

- 3 Otos
- 5 Pygmy Cories
- 4 Panda Cories
- 10 Neon tetras
- 1 Dwarf Gourami

Anyways goodluck travie on your fish :)

travie
01-18-2008, 02:23 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/gourami/dwarf.php says dwarf gourami can be kept with tetras. I have one LFS that gets the two cories in, but I pretty much have to go in the day they are shipped or the day after to get them. Do gourami need another gourami or are they okay alone in a tank?

Demi ^_^
01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, on the site below it says that Gouramis are a peaceful fish, but get agressive with other Gouramis. So I think only 1 would be good and we also don't want to risk overstocking :)

Site:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/dwrfgour.htm

travie
01-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I think I will go with one male dwarf gourami over adding more to the species I already have. The neons are doing fine with the 10 of them and the pygmy cories are doing great with 5. I will look for at least one more panda though. Thank you both for the help.