PDA

View Full Version : Question about Pregnant Molly

Drint
01-18-2008, 01:07 AM
My GF bought this Dalmation Molly and the LFS owner said it was most likely pregnant, anyone have any feedback, or is it just a fat molly?

Sasquatch
01-18-2008, 03:19 AM
It's hard to tell, but I'd lean towards yes.

Is she eating regularly? Doing her "business" normally?

It's hard to tell on the photo, but if she's pregnant she should have a gravid spot at the rear of her abdomen. It'll be a darker region. But if her pigmentation is really strong, it can be pretty hard to tell.

Drint
01-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Yes she is eating like a pig and doing her business fine, was just wondering if the guy was feeding my GF a line to get her to buy it, Kinda hard to see any spots tho as she tends to stay at the back of the tank and she's covered on spots anyway, thanks much for the reply my GF is exicted to have some "babies" heh

Sasquatch
01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Here are a few pics of our platies to show you what a gravid spot looks like.

It's more of a "gravid region" at the rear the the abdomen that's darker than the rest of the body.

If she does have babies, keep us posted.

Nautilus291
01-18-2008, 02:11 PM
That mollie looks pregnant. If you notice her hiding in the back or around plants then start looking for fry, livebearers eat their own young so if you want to save them you will have to find them quickly and putting alot of fake or live plants for them to hide in will also help their chances of survival.

Drint
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the pics now at least I have a clue of what to look for, I'm gonn go today and look for some plants, I've already covered my intakes with plastic mesh just in case so nothing gets sucked in, thanks again for the info and the pics