PDA

View Full Version : Are Honey Gouramis Boring?

slinky
01-18-2008, 12:53 AM
So these guys look like they have the potential to be pretty (although very dull in the store.) But what I read and observed are that these are very placid and timid fish, morr even than other dwarfs and also morr difficult care. Is it worth getting these guys? perhaps palties or mollies more interesting? Comments anyone?

gm72
01-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Really depends on the tank conditions and tank mates. Dwarf gouramis such as this can be a beautiful addition to many tanks, but care must be taken to accommodate their needs.

slinky
01-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Really depends on the tank conditions and tank mates. Dwarf gouramis such as this can be a beautiful addition to many tanks, but care must be taken to accommodate their needs.
I only have small fish (gobies, danios, cories, otos) so aggression shouldn't be an issue. I do have plants but am not sure they are dense enough for true hiding places yet. There are some large leaved plants that provide some cover and territory but not that bush-like density that others have with plants floating at the top. I actually think that the neon and regular dwarfs are more striking than the honey but supposedly they are much more aggressive towards each other.

So yes, I can accommodate their needs but the question was more about whether they are boring fish that just sit there and hide most of the time. If you want to go to the other extreme, bettas are gorgeous with unique, curious personalities and interesting to watch.

mitcore
01-18-2008, 04:42 AM
i have all the fish you mentioned, they are all great fun fish

it would depend on what you want,

i couldnt decided thats why i have them in 2 tanks LOL

Incredulous_Ed
01-18-2008, 04:48 AM
They swim around, and aren't shy whatsoever. They are like the oppsite of shy. WHenever I stick my hand into the tank he comes up and attacks me. He isw kinds boring to watch though. I would get dwarf gouramis.

Blue Ram
01-18-2008, 06:30 PM
They do have a boring color and a timid personality. I think that no fish is boring but this one it depends.

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2008, 06:39 PM
theyre interesting and cool fish, there are plenty more boring fish like otto's etc.

slinky
01-18-2008, 06:57 PM
theyre interesting and cool fish, there are plenty more boring fish like otto's etc.
Hey cocoa - how and why do you find the honeys interesting? Otos actually can get quite playful and was surprised. Once I turned off the air pump the pair were chasing each other around the tank. However I do agree - they are not as interesting as other active fish like mollies/platies, cichlids (probably most interesting IMHO), cories and the like. My challenge was that the honeys just seemed to hang out like glass catfish, do very little and finished. The regular dwarf gouramis aren't exactly the life of the party but at least those seemed to have a little more life, personality and color to make the aquarium interesting.

cocoa_pleco
01-18-2008, 07:12 PM
honeys have a cool look to them, and their fins are nice. they also add some color to the top of the tank. at first theyre a bit shy then they may go to all levels of the tank

lasm
01-18-2008, 08:47 PM
gouramis rock...!!!

Ellen4God
01-19-2008, 03:38 AM
I just recently got a honey gourami. I also have 6 danios and 2 otos in the tank (10g). I find the gourami to be a very nice addition!! Not only does he add color to the tank, but he is usually swimming all over - sticking his nose in the other fish's business. Not boring at all!!

kitten3326
01-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I love honey gouramis, I am getting two when I move my community tank up stairs, along with a couple of pearls I think.

slinky
01-19-2008, 03:17 PM
What do you love about them. They do look pretty in a picture but I was hoping to get some fish that didn't appear to be a part of a painted background of the tank. In the store they were as timid as glass cats, who pretty much stand there looking like a bunch of invisible pansies.

Tolley
01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I would say they're pretty cool to watch, they're not exactly the fastest of fish but its nice to watch them swim about and using they're feeler thingys.

Levi
01-19-2008, 06:06 PM
i think gouramis are cool

slinky
01-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think in a big tank they add a lot and are nice. Since I have a small one and my LFS just told me they are getting baby blue rams, I decided that those guys are probably a lot more fun to watch. They also won't mind that I don't have a tropical rainforest in my tank although I do have sufficient cover.