PDA

View Full Version : partially blind Oscar

scarcmi
09-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I have 2 young oscar fish that i bought last week and one seems to be partially blind, it knows when it is feeding time but does not go to the food to eat it but if i put the food right on it's mouth it will eat quite well. there is nothing growing over it's eyes and it seems to be quite healthy. i have had oscars before but this is a very weird problem i have never seen before. what do you think??

Full3R
09-03-2006, 10:29 AM
my lragest oscar did exactly that when he was younger he then lost one of his eyes but now he eats fine i just have to drop his food on the side with an eye

scarcmi
09-03-2006, 02:37 PM
thank you for the quick reply is there anything i can do to help the little one along?

Full3R
09-03-2006, 02:41 PM
well i think what mine had was a bacterial infection, and if u have the same thing and you've got it early, you could try to fight it by putting a lilttle sea salt in the water, not enough to make it salt water but enough to make the water VERY mildy salty, and i believe you should continue what you are doing by placing the food on its mouth just so he doesnt starve throughout the infection

scarcmi
09-03-2006, 02:43 PM
ok cheers in the past i have used 10 grams per litre for a salt treatment and i have fed him brine shrimp today am i on the right track?

Full3R
09-03-2006, 02:46 PM
when my oscar had the infection he was in a 20 gal and i put 2 teaspoons in, im not sure exactly how much salt to put in william might be on in a lil bit, he usually gets on soon and could help you with that and yes, as long as hes eating your on the right track

scarcmi
09-03-2006, 02:52 PM
ok thanks heaps, it's good to see another oscar fan!! they have such personality!!!