PDA

View Full Version : DIY moon/regular lighting day

Futureboy
01-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Ok well i got bored today and decided to make alittle new light for my betta tank as my old one was very dodgy

i went on to make a even more dodgy light out of a alloy grease drip tray for a BBQ hot glued in a little light i had in my cupboard and hotglued on some lego blocks for legs and painted it black....

pretty sweet i thought for a 2 minute job, then i realised no, no that isnt sweet matt what the heck are you thinking? SO i cut up some plexy glass and heated it up and bent some 90 degree angles in it covered the outside in fluro yellow duct tape and some grey electrical tape for 'speed lines'....This is more like it i thought, then i hot glued the light into that and thought what else i could do to it

i bought some blue neons a few months back to try a moon lighting thing so i got those out and cut some wires and joined them up to a 12v DC adapter (it was a set for your car that you just plug into your lighter) and success it worked. now this neon set had 2 neons so i figued i could put one over the 30g as its in the same room too so i got some speaker wire and connected it all up and made a dodgy reflector for it

heres some pictures

first is the 30g's reflector
second is the betta tank with blue light
third is the light cover (note the sweet speed stripes)

Tooch
01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Looks great! Definatly dig the 'speed stripes'. Do they make your fish faster?

KcEE
01-17-2008, 10:56 PM
LOL! DIY Bolt on mod to make fish faster??? :hmm3grin2orange:

That's nice Futureboy!

Futureboy
01-18-2008, 02:46 AM

Lol, i dunno about that but rocky sure likes the blue light ive noticed him swimming around much more at night now

Incredulous_Ed
01-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Very cool! I would love to do that myself or I would end up breaking something, lol

Futureboy
01-19-2008, 06:41 AM
it was very easy i just used a cheap neon set that you plug into your lighter and used some connections to attach it to a 12v DC power adapter done.

cocoa_pleco
01-19-2008, 06:51 AM
awesome job!

moonlights are easy to make or buy, theres plenty on ebay. i would make some but most of my lights have moonlights built in