PDA

View Full Version : inbreeding

stubbytheplecostomus
09-03-2006, 01:25 AM
is inbreeding a problem with fish?

interesting fact about human genetics: if you take the two most opposite people on the planet and compare their genes, you will find that compared to two family members from an isolated tribe of monkeys, the humans have less differences in their genes then the monkeys do!

DemonShark
09-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I found no problem with inbreeding but some people think it is a great sin

stubbytheplecostomus
09-04-2006, 01:31 AM
it seems that if you do your kulling well inbreeding can help enhancing desireable traits

William
09-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Depends on the species but most fish can take a couple of generation of inbreeding without serious damage to the gene pool. You will however have to introduce new blood after a couple of generation.

I do however prefer to avoid it.

kirbyr
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
one of my friend's has had a 55 gallon set up for about 3 years with guppies in it, and just allowed them to breed and has grass set up in the gravel for the babies to survive. by now all of the tails on the guppies look really different compared to seeing them in a store, some are really long, some in weird shapes, others with odd colors. you can definetly see a difference

DemonShark
09-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Same with my fry I just think proubly because of diffrent genes

stubbytheplecostomus
09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
yeah it seems inbreeding is a tool breeders can use to develope and enhance desirable features, you just need to get rid of all the undesireable features that may start showing up.