PDA

View Full Version : Oscar ?'s

Bassfan
01-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Why is it my oscar likes to jump? Hes jumping and hitting his head on the lid and it looks like theres a mark on his head. Seems to be at night or early in the morning. What could be the reason?

Ocellatus
01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
maybe he wants to get water drops produced by vaporization on the lid! my baby oscar does it sometimes. its one of their natural behaviors to jump and get every thing that they think can be a food, like insects. if they see something strange on the lid they might jump to it. even a smudge on the lid can attract them. they do it more when they are young, after some try and errors they find out theres nothing out there for them! so big ones do it less.
thats my opinion!

Tooch
01-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I agree with Blu-Ray. Oscars love to jump, but my oscar doesn't jump at all. Maybe try raising the water level. He may be thinking he sees something outside of the water. If you raise the water level, he may be able to get closer and see that there is nothing before jumping out. I always keep my water to the very bottom of the black top molding. I try to leave some room become my Pleco likes to come up and get air once in awhile.

Incredulous_Ed
01-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Someone fish just like to jump, becaus ethey feel insecure, or just because. Try adding some floating plants and see if it helps.

Fishguy2727
01-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Check your water parameters. Bad water will cause fish to jump in an attempt to escape it.

OscarFan
01-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Could be a bubble. If thier is something on the surface they will jump for it. Ive benn woken up many time s by my oscar Hitting the lid.

cocoa_pleco
01-17-2008, 04:55 AM
the only time my oscar ever did that was when he got scared, when i kept him in the little 50g long he sometimes got scared and injured himself from being in a small tank, now in the 90g he never thrashes