PDA

View Full Version : Discus Food

kitten3326
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Does anybody have a good receipes for Discus food, I will let you know my problem. My frozen food I bought at the live fish store is slowly coming to an end. I would like to put off going to Halifax for a month or so, waiting for a tank to cycle before adding fish. Halifax is 900km return from where I live, so I would like to make some food for them until then, and also after I make it, can I freeze it. If I can't, I will have to make a special trip, but they are worth it. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Incredulous_Ed
01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Feed New Life Spectrum foods They will bring out the best in the discus' color. Plus, it will be th only thing you need to feed them.

Fishguy2727
01-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Mine only get NLS and you can check them out in my PhotoBucket page. Definitely nothing but NLS.

kitten3326
01-17-2008, 04:37 AM
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but as I have said before my only LFS is over 5 hours away, and when I bought the discus they said only feed frozen brine shrimp, so that is all I have been feeding them, one is this going to hurt them, two I never heard of New Life Spectrum, but I did log on big als, and they sell New Life Spectrum Discus pellets, is this what I am looking for, thanks for you help it is really really appreciated.

Incredulous_Ed
01-17-2008, 05:38 AM
One, it wont hurt them but it isn't a complete diet.
Two, yes, it is what you are looking for.

Fishguy2727
01-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Will what hurt them? The current diet or switching to NLS?

As said their current diet is incomplete and unbalanced.

Switching to NLS is the best thing I have ever done. I am so glad I was (just barely) open-minded enough to see how good it is.

The smaller pellets sink. So if you have gravel you will need to use a feeding bowl so the food doesn't get in the gravel. Even if you have sand I would still suggest using a bowl. It will keep the food in one spot which makes it easier for them to find it, doesn't get stuck in random spots where it will just breakdown, and also lets you monitor who all is eating, and if you are feeding too much or not enough.

kitten3326
01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Thankyou so much for the information, I did order the NLS this morning, and two more stupid questions, do I still need to feed the frozen shrimp or just NLS and what is a feeding bowl and where do I get one.

Fishguy2727
01-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I just use a reptile bowl. They sink and some are almost natural looking. I use the riser tube from an undergravel filter to put the food right in the bowl.

You can stop the frozen, but you may need to keep it going for a little while until they are on the NLS.

kitten3326
01-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Thank you so much, you guys have been a great help with this matter, I was wondering how I was going to get to halifax to get more food before march, I am so grateful to find this forum with all the help and experience it has to offer. The new food should arrive by monday and I will start them right away on that. Thanks again guys, I reallllllllly appreciate it.

Karen

Incredulous_Ed
01-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Thanks again guys, I reallllllllly appreciate it.

Karen
So will your fish!

kitten3326
01-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Well guys, I recieved my food today, and fed my discus first thing, once it warmed up from being on the delivery truck for 2 days, and I have to tell you they are not warming up to it very much it is just kinda sitting in the bowl. Will I leave them, and eventually they will eat when they get hungry or will I supplement with a little of the frozen shrimp, they are like spoiled little children, not going to eat until they get what they want.

SpyderSpy6
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I have not used the Spectrum food and I have had great success. I use the TetraColor discus pellets. I use these because it has a high content of beta-carotene. Beta-Carotene will help bring any red colors out of your fish.

I have a red dragon, and about 3 weeks after feeding them the pellets his red lines were thicker and more vibrant!

I always mix the pellets in with bloodworms. Brine Shrimp & Beefheart's should be fed to them sparingly almost as if it were a dessert. I usually will feed them either brine shrimp or beefheart only once a week, if that. Reason being... Brine shrimp has absolutely no nutritional value for the fish. It's the equivalent of having a glass of water for dinner. The beefheart's are very fatty which is obviously not too healthy for them.

Another great food is the Jack Wattley Signature series formulations. I have not fed this to my fish for a long time because when it thaws it is almost like a jelly block that dissipates too finely and leaves little particles floating in my water.

Because the distance for you to go to the fish store is such an inconvenience, I would recommend www.drfostersmith.com . They have the best pricing (9 out 10 times) on almost everything, and they'll bring it to your door. Even though they say it will be a week, it's there in 2-3days.

I hope this helps!
thumbs2:
:c7:

Fishguy2727
02-08-2008, 10:10 PM
NLS has 4 all natural color enhancers. Tetra is really geared more for beginners. Some of their foods are pretty good, but not as good as NLS. Definitely try NLS if you can get it.