PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Arowana

NickFish
01-16-2008, 01:33 AM
I just saw the most amazing arowana ever! And I might even get to take care of it because it is at the petsmart I just got hired at! That's explained better in my blog. --> Link to My Blog (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=102)
It is a really cool blood red color sorta like the one in my avatar picture. Just got in and is about 7" right now. I'd really love to have an arowana if I ever got a tank big enough.
What type of plants do they like and what non-live foods do they like to be fed, if any. Awesome fish, no other like it IMO.

OscarFan
01-16-2008, 01:39 AM
Lucky. I want a job at a petstore. But in a few years I planning on owning one so that should be Fun.

NickFish
01-16-2008, 01:43 AM
It would be really cool to own a petstore because you can decide everything instead of just listening to peoples. I wouldn't do it though because I'm not really good at that business management stuff.

Another question- What would be the minimum tank size for a smaller arowana? Any possible tank mates? Would a large pleco or oscar be ok with them?

Drumachine09
01-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Do you have the scientific name? Its a possibility that it is dyed, but I'm not sure.

OscarFan
01-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Ive heard Of OScars Being good with them And PLecos are fine with Oscars if you have lots of Hiding spots. I think the min would be 90-120 gallons

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 01:44 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!! Congrats on getting the job! :thumb: :thumb: I am sure there will be many jealous peeps on here :hmm3grin2orange:

OscarFan
01-16-2008, 01:45 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!! Congrats on getting the job! :thumb: :thumb: I am sure there will be many jealous peeps on here :hmm3grin2orange:
Im jealous times a lot.

NickFish
01-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the congrats!
It isn't dyed. I believe it is Scleropages legendrei. Also known as super red or chili arowana I think.

Thanks again!

Drumachine09
01-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Max size is said to be 36", but smaller in aquariums. You would still need a massive aquarium for one. It is irresponsible to get one while it is small, knowing you can't provide for it long term, so I would strongly advise against it.

YaYgoldFish
01-16-2008, 02:16 AM
And no on the tankmates either.

KcEE
01-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Yeah. They need a big tank even when it's still young. They need the space to grow if not it will have stunted growth. There are quite a number of things to look at when taking care of an Arowana. There shouldn't be any decor like rocks or driftwood in the tank cause they tend to suddenly jump or dash about. That could lead to injuries. Also best to have a good heavy hood. Plenty of cases of people losing their aro caused it jumped. Feeding them live food is the best. They eat frogs, mealworms(large), feeder fish, blood worms, crickets, the list goes on...

Drumachine09
01-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Feeding them live food is the best.

Although cheap and some times mildly entertaining (in a non sadistic way), feeding prepared foods is WAY better. Live foods lack the high content of nutrients and minerals and such to make your fish grow up healthy. Also, with live foods, you run the risk of introducing diseases, parasites, etc.

gm72
01-16-2008, 03:09 AM
I think the min would be 90-120 gallons

A fish that gets 3 feet long needs a huge tank. 90 gallons definitely not. 120 yes but not as an adult. An adult needs more like 220 and above.

OscarFan
01-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Heres Everything you need to know
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/arowanas.htm
And if you get one I reccomend you also get something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-300-Gallon-Tall-New_W0QQitemZ200192131233QQihZ010QQcategoryZ20755Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cocoa_pleco
01-16-2008, 04:33 AM
minimum arowana tank is 300g

NickFish
01-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Would it be possible to put a smaller one like Scleropages leichardti that only grows to 36" (lol only) in a 220-250 gallon?
I could spend all day just staring at the ones at the petstore. Their movements are so graceful. But they do need really large tanks......
But maybe if I can find a big tank under $200 I'll get it.

TowBoater
01-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Good luck on that. I have been wanting an arowana for a long time and I will eventually if I can talk my mom into getting a greenhouse or something in the back yard and I can make a pond in it for big fish.:c2:

Fishguy2727
01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
The actual minimum should be more along the lines of: Width: AT LEAST as wide as the arowana will be LONG full grown. Length: AT LEAST 3x as long as the fish will be full grown. Height: not as critical, even just 2' is fine. Most importantly that they can't jump out, this includes breaking the glass top and jumping out. Keeping them in 'minimums' of 150, 250, 300 is still too small for animals that hit 30-48" or more.

Bassfan
01-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I think 125-150 is suitable for an arowana.

NickFish
01-16-2008, 08:26 PM
As wide as it is long? That's over 500 gallons for one small sized arowana.....sorry but that just doesn't seem right to me.......

All the petstore people say 100 gallon but I do not listen to them. All the sites say 200 gallon+ but I still think that's too small. Would 300+ gallon be ok for one small sized arowana? You may just be Fishguy but I do have doubts. I've seen 300 gallon tanks and they are huge.

Kuli-Loach that's what I would love to do!:1luvu:
But there is no chance my parents would let me put carnivorous fish outside. Their scared my little bro might fall in and that it's too expensive. I know of a guy with a piranha pond in a greenhouse and his cat fell in. Very sad but that happens.
Thanks for all the advice!

Tooch
01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm not 100%, but aren't Chili Arowana illegial in the US?

NickFish
01-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I dunno I'm not even sure if that is what that is but I don't live in the US. Canada all the way! Wild-caught arowanas are illegal in the US but is it possible that somebody with a lisense bred these fish and then sold them legally. They aren't cheap though this one is currently $650! The price is gonna go down as it gets bigger though.

Tooch
01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
lol whoops! Canada eh? Strange Brew was a great movie...

Tolley
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
You have to sneak a pic of the monster! :D

NickFish
01-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Opps edit I meant to say $1650 for the arowana.
It's class 1. I would love to have that fish but no way can afford it. Maybe if I can get a big tank I would get a jardini or a different colored Scleropages leichardti because the black, silver and greenish ones are much cheaper. I really like the silver ones with the greenish fins and they aren't as much.
I'd love to get a black or a golden arowana. Those are awesome!

Fishguy2727
01-17-2008, 02:14 AM
For them to really do well and not risk stunting them or causing growth deformities I really would not put them in anything smaller than described.

gm72
01-17-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm going to agree here with Fishguy. Stunting/limited growth I believe here to be a major factor. This is a VERY large fish and not only needs equally large surroundings but deserves equally large surroundings.

NickFish
01-17-2008, 11:44 AM
So what would you consider large? Listening to fishguy here then a full grown 40" arowana would need......500 gallon minimum? And a 20" would need 115 gallons? That does sound better than the 300.
I've been looking around on forums specifically for monster fish (sorry but I need to make sure I know everything about a fish before even thinking of getting one) and everybody has silver aros mixed in with other fish in tanks under 200 gallons. I'm not saying this is right but it doesn't seem that anybody gives these fish proper sized tanks according to fishguy.
So if I were to get a fully grown 36" aro then he would need.....375 gallons?
That's a lot but I guess it would be better for the fish.
How fast do they grow to that size?

TowBoater
01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Would one work in my future 125g? I mean is there an arowana that stays small enough for it? I doubt it but it's worth a shot!!

Fishguy2727
01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
There are not any that truly stay small enough for a 125 that I know of.

Most people have them in tanks far too small. Everyone thinks they will get a bigger tank when it gets bigger. But then life happens and they can't, and the fish is stunted and stops growing, so it doesn't outgrow it. So they have a deformed, stunted arowana in a tank too small for it, but also have a bunch of other fish in there.

The National Zoo in D.C. has some in their ray pool in the Amazonia exhibit. At the beginning of last year they had 6 at about 10-12". They now have two, I'm guessing they got rid of the other 4 (probably because even their huge setup wasn't big enough for all those fish AND 6 full grown silver arowanas). One is about 24" and the other is about 30". That is 12" to 30" in maybe a year.

NickFish
01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Wow those grow fast.
I guess me getting and arowana any time soon isn't very realistic.....
No way I could keep a tank that size let alone pay for one.
Oh well, I'll stick to the 3 at the petsmart for now. Thanks for all the advice.