PDA

View Full Version : What should i breed first??

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
ok so i am thinking of breeding either or of these but i am not sure which one i really want to right now. I know that i havemade a thread about cherry barbs breeding but i am not too sure if i want to breed them yet as i only have 1 male and 1 female.

would it be possible to breed my glowlights??? or would it be too difficult?? the thing i am wondering is....how do you tell if they have laid the eggs or not?? cause don't glowlights eggs need to be in a darker area in order to hatch???
thanks.

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 11:34 PM
BUMP------anyone??

i can also add a bunch of plants to the tank and will have some meshy stuff on the bottom for the eggs to fall through onto the bare glass bottom.

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I have had these breed in the main community tanks - discovered little ones all of a sudden one day...

They really need soft water to breed - ideally KH below 1 and the PH at 6 - raise the temp as they spawn easier in warm water - feed lot's of live food. They usually spawn in the mornings they will swim around frantically and also up and down the glass then scatter upto 300 eggs per female. Remove the parents right after the spawning. Feed infusoria after 3 days and 2 days later start on baby brine shrimp.

The eggs will not stick and fall to the ground.. so a mesh is ideal or marbles

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks Fishalicious....was that for th glowlights or the cherry barbs??? or both in general??

in your opinion....which is easier??? and should i have a bunch of plants like on the sides and such??

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 12:57 AM
They are both equally easy... think we already discussed the barb breeding in a previous thread...the above is for glowlights

Most breeders breed in bare tanks so no substrate either so they can keep the bottom really clean once you start feeding the young... I tend to always go the route of having plants to make them feel more at ease and find they breed quicker when happier...

I use cabomba a lot with breeding or big huge knots of hornwort or Elodea Densa along the floor where the eggs also fall through and makes it harder for the parents to eat the eggs...

Breeders all do it differently and all do it the way that works for them ;) It is a case of trial and error and trying things yourself... see what works for you the best

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 01:04 AM
ok...so i have a bunch of hornwort that i could use in the tank. so that would be ok. My tank is all cleaned out with a bare bottom right now so i have that covered...i have a batch of infursia (sp?) right now and i have some Brine shrimp eggs and can easily make some BBS.

how do i tell if they have laid the eggs??? that is something i have always wanted to know?? do you just look for eggs??? o is it ok if i have a powerhead running or should i turn it off???

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 01:16 AM
You can leave all the other equipment as is... do put a panty over the filter intake though so no babies can get sucked up... it is actually better for fry to grow with some movement in the water as it makes them stonger from swimming with the flow all the time (as long as they are not being shoved too one side by the current LOL)

I always watch my fish spawning but you can also usually tell by the female who goes from bulgy to skinny :19: Watch out for the frantic swimming in the morning .... they will then spawn... if you miss the spawning itself you can tell because they will be swimming normal again or showing a great interest in the floor trying to eat the eggs....

With a bare bottom you will most likely be able to see the eggs - get the magnifying glass out hehehe

Only thing is you are going to have to soften the water for them to spawn... mine didn't spawn until they were in one of the amazon tanks with a KH of 0 and PH of 5.5 ...

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 01:20 AM
how would i soften the water??? i think that i will have to take the powerhead out then because it gives alot of flow and it sucks up water pretty good.

NickFish
01-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Whoa that's a pretty low pH.
The tank should also be pretty shaded with a bunch of floating plants.

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Soften water by filtering over peat for example...you need to get the KH down to buffer the PH

I was keeping Apistogramma iniridae & Apistogramma elizabethae which need a low PH in the tank

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 01:25 AM
look below...double post opps.

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Soften water by filtering over peat for example...you need to get the KH down to buffer the PH
i can't find peat anywhere........i have looked before.....hhhmmm.....so would they like not breed in semi hard water or something??

pH is around 7

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 01:33 AM
You could try.. but I don't think it will be as easy then with the glowlights...

Can you get blackwater extract?

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Can you get blackwater extract?
yes....my LFS carries it.

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 01:39 AM
:19: :19: :19: That should soften it... add a few drops to the breeding tank and you are set to go .... if you have moss that would be fantastic as well... it naturally carries inusoria that fry love to nibble on...

Remember the fry are tiny and hard to see so be careful when cleaning ... :c3:

Warning though... once you start breeding you can't stop... before you know it you will be breeding every fish you come across LOL Better stock up on tanks now <grins>

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 01:42 AM
:19: :19: :19: That should soften it... add a few drops to the breeding tank and you are set to go .... if you have moss that would be fantastic as well... it naturally carries inusoria that dry love to nibble on...

Remember the fry are tiny and hard to see so be careful when cleaning ... :c3:

Warning though... once you start breeding you can't stop... before you know it you will be breeding every fish you come across LOL Better stock up on tanks now <grins>
sweet...i am going there tomorrow so i will see if they have some. I don't havemoss and no where around here carries it and i am not allowed (parents) to order stuff off the internet. But doesn't java fern have some aswell?? i have that.

i kow...i havebred bettas and it was fun...lol...thats why i want to use it as a bredding tank..lol.

Fishalicious
01-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Nope Java Fern won't...

Keep us updated pretty please ;) Want to hear it all step by step :19:

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Nope Java Fern won't...

Keep us updated pretty please ;) Want to hear it all step by step :19:
ok will do.

hhmmm.....i heard somewhere that java fern will....hmm. Is there any other kind of plant that will???

squirt_12
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
is there any other kind of plant that will??

also..i got some blackwater extract today from my LFS and i was wondering...about how many drops for the 10g???