PDA

View Full Version : Do you absolutely need Co2?

doug z
01-15-2008, 09:48 PM
I've been told from a couple sources that I will need Co2 for my planted tank..

I'm looking at a 55-60g tank, with a 1:1 ratio of mixed gravel and Eco-complete

I have bought a 48" T5 55W dual bulb light, a bottle of liquid Co2 and an iron suppliment.

I was HOPING that I could just get away with using an air stone (I'm told I should be using a powerhead) at night only, and that will be a good way to keep the fish and plants happy.

Thoughts?

If I really DO need it, what kind of system should I get for a 55-60 g tank?

How does it work?

Incredulous_Ed
01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
You dont need if you are keeping simple plants. An air stone will diminish the co2 in the tank. If you want to keep some of the harder plants, you will need pressurized co2.

Dave66
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I've been told from a couple sources that I will need Co2 for my planted tank..

I'm looking at a 55-60g tank, with a 1:1 ratio of mixed gravel and Eco-complete

I have bought a 48" T5 55W dual bulb light, a bottle of liquid Co2 and an iron suppliment.

I was HOPING that I could just get away with using an air stone (I'm told I should be using a powerhead) at night only, and that will be a good way to keep the fish and plants happy.

Thoughts?

If I really DO need it, what kind of system should I get for a 55-60 g tank?

How does it work?

With what you have you can keep the sword plants, the crypts, the crinums (don't, they get too large), the Aponogetons, the java and other ferns and the mosses. In other words, the vast majority of the rosette plants. Only things you can't are the stem plants, like Cabomba, as you don't have enough light (or Co2) for them. Keep away from the water lilies, as they need tons of light to stay compact and well colored.
Seachem makes Florish iron/potassium, etc. tablets that you push under the gravel a inch or two from the base of the plants. As they dissolve (takes months) they release those nutrients to the roots of the plant. Follow the directions closely on that liquid Co2, as a little goes a long way. PM me with the brand(s) you are using.
You can get away with the liquid Co2 in a tank as small as yours. The upfront cost of a pressurized system is what put people off using it, though they are very cheap to run.
I do know there are small pressure systems powered by paint-ball Co2, but they are between 100 and 200 dollars. A good complete automated system, with regulator, solenoid, needle valve, pH controller, tubing and the whole bit will run you between 250 and 400 dollars. Plugged into a timer, those systems are fully automatic. The timer turns them off at night.

Dave

doug z
01-15-2008, 11:16 PM
PM sent, thanks..

smaug
01-16-2008, 12:51 AM
I do not use co2,I have purple cabomba,broad leaf ludwigia and a wide asst. of sword plants as well as apongentum.I use seachem excel and nothing else.An air pump does nothing for plants and in a planted tank should only be used at night when the plants are not using co2.

doug z
01-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, the airstone was for the fish.. :)