PDA

View Full Version : Brown stuff (again)

NickFish
01-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I remember reading this before and I believe it was already answered but I can't seem to find the thread. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I have brown stuff (looks like some kind of algae) Growing on my amazon swords. What is this stuff, what causes it and what can get rid of it?

Dave66
01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I remember reading this before and I believe it was already answered but I can't seem to find the thread. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I have brown stuff (looks like some kind of algae) Growing on my amazon swords. What is this stuff, what causes it and what can get rid of it?

Its diatoms (a kind of algae in a calcium carbonate shell). You get them in newer tanks when silicates are rampant and nutrients are all over the place. If you increase your lighting (add another el cheapo strip light or two) the diatoms will go away. Know it sounds weird, but more light means no diatoms. If you had a canister filter I'd say put one of those iron oxide phosphate and silicate removing granules in one of the baskets. The extra light means no diatoms, the phosphate/silicate stuff removes the food that green algae would use to grow after the diatoms were gone.
The upshot, better light, no diatoms. Better light, algae. Phosphate/silicate removal granules, no algae in the better light.

Dave

Fishalicious
01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Couldn't have said it better Dave thumbs2: thumbs2: thumbs2:

NickFish
01-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks again Dave!
That would make sense cause the algae is only in my 10 gallon, the newest and poorest lighted.
I think I'll get an oto or 2 for that tank.