PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals lost colour

NickJennings
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey guys, I've just had quite a strange incident with my cardinal tetras so I thought I would share it here and ask if anyone knows what might have happened??

I went away for the weekend, leaving feeding duties to a friend who apparently did everything correctly. I didn't leave any tank maintenance to her, it was just feeding once a day.

For the three days that I was away the light was off the whole time (I have read in many places that the light is for us humans and not for the fish so I didn't think anything of leaving it off for three days).

When I got back and flicked the light on, all five of my Cardinals were completely white. Over the next half an hour or so all the colour came back, and they all seem very comfortable.

Is this the lack of light as I assume? I didn't realise lack of light would turn them completely white - is this bad for the fish??

KcEE
01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
This is common. When I turn my lights back on in the morning, my tetras are all pale. During the night when it's dark, they lose their color so that they can avoid detection from prey. Fish do need light too. They also go through the day and night cycle like us humans.

Algenco
01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
normal,the color washes out in the dark . No harm

Sasquatch
01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
We noticed the same thing with our Neons, back when we had some.

The pigments seem to he photosensitive. I find it kinda cool, it just freaks you out the first time it happens!

NickJennings
01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
I find it kinda cool, it just freaks you out the first time it happens!

Yeah, it definately freaked me out!

"Oh My God look what she's done to my fish"

*runs to get testing kits*

haha

NickFish
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
you said it KcEE!

Same thing happens with all my fish. Freaked me out the first time too, it can be a very traumatic experience LOL.