PDA

View Full Version : 5 Month zoa progression

coachfraley
01-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Here is a pic. of the progression of my hitchhiker zoas. I think most of their growth was is hairyness :ssmile:

http://www.cshm.org/images/fraley/zoaprogress.jpg

I have a feeling that growth is kind of on the slow side, but I have no frame of reference, anyone have any ideas?

Fenix
01-15-2008, 06:53 AM
looks to me like it grew a lot!

Dave66
01-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Long as the NSW levels are stable, zoos can grow quite quickly; noticeable growth every week. Looks like you have some sponge growth on the rock as well, which is a good thing.

Dave

CAX474
01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
All looks good to me! Maybe one day I will get into SW but I have enough to do with what I have at the moment, But keep up the good work Fasinating little animals coral.

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
very cool coach...looking good. Will the zoanthids eventually take over the entire rock???

Dave66
01-15-2008, 09:11 PM
very cool coach...looking good. Will the zoanthids eventually take over the entire rock???

Yep, and the gravel, and the glass, and whatever else it can grow over. The zoos, polyps and sea mats can really become a pain in the tuckus with their growth. If they can cover it, they will.

Dave

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Yep, and the gravel, and the glass, and whatever else it can grow over. The zoos, polyps and sea mats can really become a pain in the tuckus with their growth. If they can cover it, they will.

Dave
cool....so thats why in some tanks there are some like pink stuff on the back of the tank??? it is from that type of stuff??? that is really cool though how it can do that.

Dave66
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
cool....so thats why in some tanks there are some like pink stuff on the back of the tank??? it is from that type of stuff??? that is really cool though how it can do that.

The pink stuff is coraline algae (a good thing). Its a type of marine algae that builds its structure with calcium carbonate, etc. If you touch it its rock hard.
If you keep NSW levels steady in your tank, you should get lots of coraline.
There's a product called 'Purple-Up' that really charges up the coraline, but I wouldn't use it with your 2 part calcium/alkalinity thing at the same time, as the Purple-Up is primarily liquid aragonite.

Dave

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
The pink stuff is coraline algae (a good thing). Its a type of marine algae that builds its structure with calcium carbonate, etc. If you touch it its rock hard.
If you keep NSW levels steady in your tank, you should get lots of coraline.
There's a product called 'Purple-Up' that really charges up the coraline, but I wouldn't use it with your 2 part calcium/alkalinity thing at the same time, as the Purple-Up is primarily liquid aragonite.

Dave
hhhmmm......sweet.....thanks for all of the awesome info Dave....:thumb: i always wondered what that pink stuff was.

cocoa_pleco
01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
yep, its a sign of a healthy tank, ive got some on all of my LR and my glass

coachfraley
01-15-2008, 11:21 PM

I've actually been considering using purple up, because I can't find that 2 part 2littlefishy product you recommended. I don't like making online orders if I can avoid it.:confused:

I know purple up isn't a total solution like the other product, but my main goal was to increase my corraline algae anyway. Would purple up be ok in the meantime (until I can find the 2littlefishy AB)?

Dave66
01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
I've actually been considering using purple up, because I can't find that 2 part 2littlefishy product you recommended. I don't like making online orders if I can avoid it.:confused:

I know purple up isn't a total solution like the other product, but my main goal was to increase my corraline algae anyway. Would purple up be ok in the meantime (until I can find the 2littlefishy AB)?

I know you're reticent to order online, but drs foster and smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4737&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=c%2Dbalance&Np=1) is a reputable dealer and I wouldn't (and haven't) hesitate in ordering from them. Like most dealers, their ordering is secure and 128-bit encrypted, thus no one other than you and they can see it.

Dave

coachfraley
01-16-2008, 12:16 AM
I am not afraid of making online orders...I am afraid of my wife!!!:14:

At least if I use cash, she can not complain about how much I spend on my hobby.

There are still one or two stores I haven't tried, so I guess I will keep looking.