PDA

View Full Version : Bolivian Ram trouble

Setsuna
09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
G'day.
Yesterday I purchaced three bolivian rams, two female one male. They are in my 2'x1'x1' tank with borneos, guppies, corys a bristlenose and kuhlies. The females seem to have settled in well, they are swimming around the tank together, sometimes with the guppies, but the male seems really narky.

Both females have started to color up, I believe because they are in warmer water then that of the LFS and because theyve settled in. The male hasn't. He also has become possessive of the airstone. He is obsessed with the bubbles that come out of it like my betta that just died was, but unlike the betta everytime another fish goes near the airstone he chases them off. He also has been 'attacking' and chasing the female rams.

I say 'attacking' because I dont know if it could be his way of courting them. He swims up to them and 'kisses' them all over like kissing goramis do. Then he chases them around the tank till he spies the bubbles and swims to play with them again.

Is he being territorial? If so, why did he not behave like this at the LFS? I have been eyeing the three of them for a few weeks until I got paid, and the three of them were together in a smaller tank then mine along with lots of bristlenose plecos.

Any ideas?

William
09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Yes, Sounds like he claimed a small territory around the bubbles. Some fish loves them and want to keep them for themselves. The reason he didn't behave like that in the store is likely that there where to many fish in the store tank to allow him to take a territory.

I think everything you write above make it seem like you have a happy healthy fish!.

Setsuna
09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Thats cool then. Thanks William ^_^