PDA

View Full Version : Oto poop? (yes, I said poop!)

Ellen4God
01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I just got home from PetSmart with my two new otocinclus catfish. My tank is in bad need of a good cleaning!! lol

Well, I put the bag in the tank to float a little in order for the temp to get adjusted before I add a little tank water to the bag. I took my dog on a walk and when I came back, there were white "flakes" in the bag. I didn't notice this earlier, I don't think....or maybe I didn't look at them close enough before. Is this oto poop? Oooor, what could it be? It looks like flake food, just white. Very odd.

gm72
01-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Looks like flake food? I have no idea. Could be oto poop, maybe.

Tolley
01-14-2008, 10:31 PM
not really sure.. got a pic?

Ellen4God
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Looks like flake food? I have no idea. Could be oto poop, maybe.

Yeah. It's very weird. I didn't see the lady put anything in the bag when she got them for me, so I'm not really sure what it could be. Should I be worried about it? It's not like a weird fungus or anything, right? Should I wait to put them in my tank? They seem fine.

Ellen4God
01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
not really sure.. got a pic?

I can try to get one. Let me try...

Fishalicious
01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Oto Cat poop is just like any other fishes poop...<lovely subject> dark little sausages if they are happy and fed properly ;)

Ellen4God
01-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Okay. I attached a picture. It's not the best at all, and you can see my annoying algae, but you can also see the flakes sort of. It looks like a danio is in the bag with the two otos, but he's not. My danios always check EVERYTHING out. lol

Does that help any? I'm at a loss...

Ellen4God
01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Oto Cat poop is just like any other fishes poop...<lovely subject> dark little sausages if they are happy and fed properly ;)

That's what I was thinking. Do otos shed? I don't remember reading anything about that, but is it possible? The tank they were in at the store didn't really have a lot of algae, so I'm not sure if that has anything to with it or not...?

......:help:........

Ellen4God
01-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, I reckon I'm going to just keep going with the acclamation process for right now. Not sure what else to do. I can't leave them in the bag much longer though. Hopefully all is well *fingers crossed*

gm72
01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
They don't shed but may have lost some scales in transit. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Ellen4God
01-14-2008, 11:07 PM
They don't shed but may have lost some scales in transit. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Thanks!! :11:

MeganL3985
01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
My oto's poop like normal fish. I've never seen white flakey stuff before. Unless it was residue inside the bag?

Ellen4God
01-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Unless it was residue inside the bag?

I thought about that too. I hope that wasn't it...not sure it would be very healthy for the little guys.

They're in the tank now. There's a LOT of algae, so I'm sure they'll be busy for awhile.

Halelorf
01-15-2008, 04:14 AM
I had a oranda goldfish from petco once that had fin rot that I didn't see before I bought it. A day later there was white flecks around the tank that I couldn't figure out what it was from. Then the following day I noticed the fin rot was pretty severe and the flecks were pieces of the inflicted fin. The fish was beyond saving at that point and died several hours later despite my best efforts. Not trying to scare you but that is my only experience with white flecks in a tank. Probably just keep a eye on it and check it over a couple times for disease. :confused:

Ellen4God
01-16-2008, 04:26 AM
I just wanted to give ya'll an update. I think they are doing great! I was a little concerned last night because I couldn't always spot both of them, but I have seen them a good bit today, and they look healthy. They're doing great on cleaning the tank, although I'm sure it'll take quite awhile for them to get it squeaky for me. They're definitely cute little boogers!