PDA

View Full Version : Why won't they breed?? (Angels)

CAN_chic
01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi guys, Im stumped!!! Ive got 4 angels, all roughly 5 inches now, and I have tried almost everything and they will not breed! Is is really possible that I have all one sex in there??

46g bow front
ph: 7.0
temp: 80F
Lightly planted with val's and swords.
Feeding frozen blood worms and NLS Discus formula (pellet) for a staple.

Any suggestions??..Hit me!

Pr0eve
01-14-2008, 04:02 PM
do you know how to tell what sex they are? start there.

CAN_chic
01-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought you couldnt tell the sex untill they were ready to full-out breed, when laying eggs and fertilizing them?

Algenco
01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Is that 5" overall? They may not be mature. Mine start breeding at about 3" body size (vertical)

CAN_chic
01-14-2008, 05:36 PM
They are 5-6 inches overall..vertically. Perhaps they arent mature?!

They show signs of wanting to breed..claiming territory, minor agression (no damage, just chasing) etc.

Would feeding live foods encourage them? I also heard to hold off on water changes for about 3 weeks?!! To me thats nuts, they need weekly water changes! But..are they right with holding off??

(thanks for the replies so far!)

Algenco
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
If you have a pair they will spawn without encouragement from you, in fact, you won't be able to get them to stop!
Varied diet, live or frozen foods, frequent wc.

CAN_chic
01-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Mhmm ok, Im beginning to think I have all one sex then haha ah well, next tank LOL

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 02:16 AM
well i would feed them a varied diet, like Algenco said, or frozen foods (blood worms, brine shrimp) and freeze dried foods and live foods. Live foods usually help to put any type of fish into the breeding mode.

Angels like to lay their eggs on slanted pieces of slate and leaves of plants. For slate you could take a flat and smooth rock and then place it against something so that it is on an angel for them to lay them on. They will also lay them on the intake filter, heater, ornaments and pretty well anything that is on an angel. You will also see them cleaning the surface that they are going to lay on.