PDA

View Full Version : black dots on my discus

james0007
01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi every one
I have yellow discus. when I bought it has little black dots some near the mouth others in one side , it isn't that much….the fish very healthy fish move normally…should I be concern about these tiny black dots...is there away to remove these black dots to make the have clear solid yellow ?

Tooch
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
The black dots aren't dangerous. Do you have a dark background in your tank? I've heard various reasons for the dots... The most recent is that they try to hide by camoflauge (sp?). A darker background will cause the Discus to get those spots trying to blend in... I'm not sure if this is right or not...

Fishalicious
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Dark spot are usually due to high lighting... usually within a few weeks of dimming the lights slightly or adding lot's of floating plants they disapear as fast as they appeared. In Pigeon Blood Discus they are very common though...all Pigeon Blood based discus have varying degrees of peppering and there is nothing you can really do about it but lower the lights slightly.

Fishguy2727
01-14-2008, 03:09 PM
I have heard all sorts of theories on peppering. Everything from too much light, not enough light, dark backgrounds, pH, etc. Mine have been in all sorts of conditions (variations of all of these) and have never had any noticeable variation in the amount of peppering. Personally I like it, it gives them something more.

kitten3326
01-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Mine live in peat colored water, and also have peppering, I like it as well I think it adds coloring. I tried to wean them a little into a lighter tank, but they seemed to stress out a bit, therefore I keep my water dark, does make for a pretty tank, as the water is amber colored and the background dark, however I don't think this is anything to worry about, as long as they are acting normal and eating regular. Good luck.

james0007
01-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies i appreciate that.

PEPSI123
10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I have a dark blue discus and a yellow/orange discus. My tank does have a black background. I have owned them since last winter. The water is clear and, I think, healthy. It is professionally cleaned and changed this last week. They have been very healthy. The dark blue is under stress and I am noticing an unusual amount of peppering on the yellow discus....what should I do??

Fishguy2727
10-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Start a new thread.