PDA

View Full Version : Beta Fish sits at bottom of tank

mrsquack
08-31-2006, 05:42 PM
I have a 2 gallon tank for our Beta with oxygen bubble running through. The water is clear and I add about 1/4 of the tank with fresh water that sits for about a week and is treated with the Beta water balancing drops every week.

The fish has begin sitting at the bottom of the tank almost all the time. When I put my finger near the glass he moves very quickly around the tank and seems normal but will go back to sitting on the bottom. He also appears to be eating normally and there are no white patches or spots on him. His fins all look fine.

Is this common? SHould I empty the entire tank and start over?

Lindsay_D
08-31-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm not a betta expert but most of the betta i've seen they tend to rarely move...

William
08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Is nitrite/nitrate and ammonia levels ok?

Severus
09-01-2006, 02:42 AM
I had a betta in a 5 gal awhile back and they like to just hang out a lot they are pretty calm by theirselves. When my guy slept he was on the bottom, my JD does the same thing... i was worried when i saw it the first time, but its been almost two years and my Dempsey is fine.. jsut keep an eye on him and as William said check your water parameters

stubbytheplecostomus
09-01-2006, 03:36 AM
heating the water can make them more active by raising their metabolism, try a mid 70's temprature.

ankomocchi
10-11-2006, 06:28 AM
I have 4 Bettas and sometimes they just hang around the bottom of their bowls. When I first got them, I was worried about them, but somebody told me they were just 'resting' or something. Maybe yours is inactive because of the temperature? They come from humid and tropical-ish places, so they are more active in warmer waters. :D

betta mom
10-12-2006, 06:59 AM
betta's perfer warmer water . :malelovies: . i have some that do the same thing . most likely he is fine . :laugh1blue:

Severus
10-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Yea it sounds pretty normal

twilight5
08-05-2009, 06:18 PM
tired: my bettas used to do that until I raised the temperature and upgraded their tank.now they just do that at night to rest:goldfish: :cookiemonster: