PDA

View Full Version : Washing brine shrimp

NickFish
01-14-2008, 01:14 AM
I know that brine shrimp are raised in salty water but I don't want to get any of that salt in my main tank. When I buy frozen or freeze-dried brine shrimp are you supposed to wash them off before feeding them> Is it likely there will be any salt still on the shrimp? If so what is the best way to wash them?

Thanks

Dave66
01-14-2008, 01:35 AM
I know that brine shrimp are raised in salty water but I don't want to get any of that salt in my main tank. When I buy frozen or freeze-dried brine shrimp are you supposed to wash them off before feeding them> Is it likely there will be any salt still on the shrimp? If so what is the best way to wash them?

Thanks

Put the frozen cube in a fine fish net, and run cool freshwater over the cube Until it melts and there's just the shrimp in the net. I say cool water as hot water destroys the shrimp and rather makes a mess of them. Freeze-dried I wouldn't worry about it, as its just the shell of the shrimp; nothing to hold salt in.

Dave

Sasquatch
01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't think you have a problem in either case.

As said, the freeze dried ones don't have any of the salt brine in them ... so no salt transfer.

The frozen ones are most likely frozen in freshwater. Saltwater doesn't freeze very well and the salt usually precipitates out during the freezing process ... so you end up with freshwater anyways.

Even if they are frozen in saltwater (which I highly doubt), unless your feeding big blocks daily, it's not going to change the salinity of the aquarium in any case. But if you have doubts, keep an eye on your hardness.

NickFish
01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Ok thanks. I just wanted to be safe because I have some cories in all my tanks and they really do not like salt. I think I will rinse the frozen just to make sure.