PDA

View Full Version : Plant ??

OscarFan
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Im going to add live plants to my 29 gallon. I have some blue gravel in thier. Do i need to add anything to the gravel for the plants. Is thier anything else needed besides light needed.

smaug
01-13-2008, 06:19 PM
If your gravel has been in there for awhile it will have nutrients for the plants.If it hasnt then you can use fert tabs which do a very good job .If you will be having alot of plants then a tight fitting lid is a good idea to keep co2 in.You may also need additional co2,I recomend and use seachem excel for this purpose.I do not know waht plants you are going to try but on a 29 ideally you would want at least 50 watts of lighting for most plants.

OscarFan
01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
isseachem excel something you add to your water.

smaug
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
isseachem excel something you add to your water.
yes ,it is a co2 inducing liquid,I use it exclusively with great results.It has the added benefit of being a good algae killer especially BBA.here is some info.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198692/product.web

shalafi04
01-13-2008, 06:32 PM
when I've spoken with people all they say is eco-complete eco-complete. But I dont know how things work in a pre-established tank.

I suggestion reading ove this here
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquascaping/a/covertolive.htm

This is an article all about someone switching their tank over from a plastic plant tank to a live plant tank.

Good Luck

Rue
01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Technically, it's good to add fertilizer. But, as smaug said, if you have enough mulm in your gravel, you might not need anything...

I posted in the plant thread a little while ago...that I just had to harvest my 25g from Elodea and java fern...it had taken over...I have never added anything to my tank specifically for the plants...

country_boy454
01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I added fluorite to my gravel in my 29 gallon after it being established and I have seen awesome growth on all my plants. Especially my anubias barteri and amazon sword. I have a DIY CO2 also and only about 1.2wpg of light.