PDA

View Full Version : Light suggestions

gm72
01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Okay, so I am going to convert more tanks into planted tanks, low light, plant tabs as the only fert. I think I should shoot for about 2 watts per gallon, am I right? The first tanks to get the treatment are 40 gallon long. With 2 watts per gallon I am thinking CF bulbs are out--the lowest wattage rating I saw on 48" units was 2x65 watt bulbs. So a double or triple fluorescent would be best do you think?

Thanks again!

smaug
01-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Okay, so I am going to convert more tanks into planted tanks, low light, plant tabs as the only fert. I think I should shoot for about 2 watts per gallon, am I right? The first tanks to get the treatment are 40 gallon long. With 2 watts per gallon I am thinking CF bulbs are out--the lowest wattage rating I saw on 48" units was 2x65 watt bulbs. So a double or triple fluorescent would be best do you think?

Thanks again!
that all sounds about right to me!

gm72
01-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Cool, so shoot for about 80 watts you think? I wonder how many watts an average double or triple fluorescent fixture puts out?

Algenco
01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Whats the length of the tank? I'm using 48" shop lights from Walmart $8, I changed the bulbs to T12 GE 9325k (Aquarium/plant bulbs available at Walmart / Lowes around $8 ea)

gm72
01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
48 inches, exactly. Same footprint as a standard 55 gallon just not as tall.

EDIT: How do you have the shop lights mounted to the tank? Or maybe you are hanging them? Can you offer a picture?

Algenco
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I just have them sitting on the tank. If your tank has a center brace you shouldn't have any problems.

I also use the 24" shop light with the T8 Aquarium bulbs on 10 g tanks. There is some overhang, might not look pretty, but they work 32 w for $25:hmm3grin2orange:

gm72
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
So you just put the shop lights on the tank? I assume you have a glass top as well?

Algenco
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
no, open tops, lights sit on the tank

Dave66
01-13-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks again!

GM,
First planted tank I ever did was a 50 I bought for 10 bucks at a yard sale, with a pair of 40 watt daylight T8 tubes over it. Black and white little gravel over laterite, with driftwood and stones. Gravel was two inches in the front, five or six in the back. Grew three of the big swords (bleheri) couple parvaflorus and a lawn of tennelus in that tank, and used pelleted Co2. Everything grew perfectly, and within three months, the big swords bloomed. Simple. So as long as you don't go for the stems or other light hogs and stick to the swords and crypts, you don't have to break the bank for lights.

Dave

gm72
01-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Got it. I think I might try such a thing but will go with a glass top.

Dave66
01-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Got it. I think I might try such a thing but will go with a glass top.

Its easy to do. I did that tank while I was in high school. Planted it, left it alone, checked nothing. Used a package of Hydor or some such tablets for Co2. About six weeks after I put a little group of small plecos (Peckoltias) in it. By the time summer came along it had a bunch of neons, some hatchet fish, couple three cories and that was it. I'd still do simple planted tanks, but I'm a sucker for stems and what not.
Still have that tank. It now serves as a sump.

Dave